Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine trouble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-trouble-t82311.html)

Kathi Schofield 12-12-2010 10:35 AM

okay here i go again......i have changed every knob on the machine.....and tried to sew and can't get the material to feed through.....tightened the tension and loosened the tension and nothing working for a staight stitch.....if i change to a small zigzag stitch it will feed through but want to do a staight line of course........this machine hates me........i've looked in the instruction book and no help there........so please someone give a good ans. so i can get back to sewing. thank you

sharon b 12-12-2010 10:40 AM

Take a couple deep breaths -- what machine is it ? I would leave the tension alone usually not that -rethread the machine - wind and put in a new bobbin - are the feed dogs up or down ?

carolaug 12-12-2010 10:42 AM

I had the same problem this morning...I change the thread and did a new bobbin...then it worked...and yup...make you your feed dogs are up

Kathi Schofield 12-12-2010 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Take a couple deep breaths -- what machine is it ? I would leave the tension alone usually not that -rethread the machine - wind and put in a new bobbin - are the feed dogs up or down ?

if the feed dogs are the teeth where you lay the material on yes it is above the flat part of the machine.......tried taking out the thread and redueing the whole machine and the material just stays in the same spot...not pulling material back at all......getting very disgusted by the way it's a new machine singer/inspiration 4205

Scissor Queen 12-12-2010 11:01 AM

Is your stitch length set at 0?

Kathi Schofield 12-12-2010 11:07 AM

no it's on 2.........where should it be

quiltinghere 12-12-2010 11:30 AM

I don't know what machine you're using - but increase that stitch length and give it a go.

Otherwise - take an hour away from the machine and 'let it get lonely' - maybe when you come back to 'it' 'it' will behave! That's what I do :)

tellabella 12-12-2010 11:31 AM

It should work at 2...I have mine at 2.5 or 3...run the machine without fabric..are the feed dogs turning...take out the throat plate and run it and see if all the parts are moving the way they should...something may be stuck...like a big clump threads on the underneath...

okiepastor 12-12-2010 11:32 AM

Have you taken the plate under the needle off to be sure there is not lots of lint under it? If you have sewed flannel, it builds up very quickly--had to take mine off twice in an afternoon!that causes that problem!

Prism99 12-12-2010 04:46 PM

Have you used the machine for very long? There could be a buildup of lint around the feed dogs that keeps them from moving as they should. Try taking the bobbin out and also the cover plate over the bobbin area (may require taking out a couple of screws) and see if there is lint you can lift out with a pair of tweezers. Lint can become like pieces of felted wool in that area.