Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Magazine favorites? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magazine-favorites-t4713.html)

Izy 02-22-2008 10:45 AM

Why buy expensive magazines when there is soooo much for free on the web, not only can you find written info, but there are lots of videos on utube etc. which I find easier to comprehend than reading instructions.I struggle to find magazines as they aren't available much in Spain, and usually indulge when I return to the U.K. for holidays, but I have such a wealth of information stored on this laptop for future use, and of course the money saved can be spent on fast growing fabric stash!! :lol: :lol:

MelissaK 02-22-2008 10:56 AM

I have both Mccalls and McCalls quick quilts. I have been subscribing for years. I find the directions very easy to understand. I have tried quiltmaker and quilters newsletter. I found that they weren't really for me so I stopped subscribing.

3incollege 02-22-2008 11:13 AM

I buy a few magazines a month.maybe once aweek I'll pick up one. I subscribe to Quilters Home, but I don't really think of it as a quilty magazine it is more of enternment.(I met Mark Lipinski). I also like Faric Trends and the Challenge that comes out a few times a year. The women that won the $100,000 challenge 2007 lives near me and belongs to a neighboring guild.

Quilting Aggi 02-22-2008 11:29 AM

I love the Australian Ones... they have very original designs, not too much advertising and very interesting stories!

Cathe 02-22-2008 11:39 AM

Last time I looked, I prefered American Patchwork and Quilting. I got an Australian magazine as a gift last year, and that was fun.

In case you haven't figured it out by now, I strongly dislike the "celebrity culture" that seems to invade everything including quilting. I don't want to read articles about trendy designers - I want interesting and helpful articles and patterns. In fact, I really prefer tradition designs because of all the copyright issues involved when you make a quilt from a magazine pattern.

blahel 02-23-2008 12:50 AM

i enjoy quilting arts which i subscribe to as it is not available at the newsagents and buy down under quilts. I especially like reading about why people quilt and how their thought processes work from start to finish of a quilt. I usually flick through most of the magazines at the newsagents and occasionally also buy Australian quilters companion when have a bit of spare cash but my favourite is down under quilts for their articles as well as their art quilts.

Extreme Quilter 02-23-2008 05:08 AM

I also enjoy "American Quilter" published by the American Quilters Society. That is another one I frequently keep.

babeegirl 02-23-2008 05:40 AM

Better Homes and Gardens Quilt Sampler is my favorite. I love all the shops and I've gotten ispiration from some of the quilts pictured on the walls and displays of the shops.

ilena 02-23-2008 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
Why buy expensive magazines when there is soooo much for free on the web, not only can you find written info, but there are lots of videos on utube etc. which I find easier to comprehend than reading instructions.I struggle to find magazines as they aren't available much in Spain, and usually indulge when I return to the U.K. for holidays, but I have such a wealth of information stored on this laptop for future use, and of course the money saved can be spent on fast growing fabric stash!! :lol: :lol:

It is great to be able to get so many free things off the web! But it is also nice to fall asleep while reading a quilting magazine and have those images of new ideas to dream about!!!

dreamingquilts 02-23-2008 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Izy

I like to have them for when I have to drive my kids somewhere and I have to wait. Or in the waiting room of the Dr. office when the internet isn't available. Also, there is just something about having that paper in my hand, whether it be a magazine or a book, that I just enjoy.