Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   mailing books, mags,cd (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mailing-books-mags-cd-t98134.html)

mountain deb 02-09-2011 07:54 AM

I read on the internet the other day that if you mail books, magazines, or cd's, then you can mail them media mail which is a whole lot cheaper. I think their example was mailing a 10lb box of book from NYC to San Diego would cost $16, but shipped media mail would only cost about $5. But you can not piggback anything else with it. Have not had the chance to try this yet, has anyone? With all the books and magazines that get sold on here, thought we could give this a try.

Grama Lehr 02-09-2011 07:57 AM

Yes! That is true! But, they also have the right to open and check out your package.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-09-2011 07:58 AM

Someone said (on this board) that you can't mail magazines in Media mail b/c of the advertising. I am so tired of the postal system that I'm trying to avoid it lol :D

amma 02-09-2011 07:59 AM

Yes this is a great deal. Just make sure that it is only media in the box.
The last time I was at the PO another customer got busted LOL when the postal worker picked up the box and it rattled :shock: The customer had to admit there were a few other "little things" in it and she had to pay for regular shipping costs.
The worker said that they do open and check a lot of media parcels, due to finding other items inside. :D:D:D

SuzyQ 02-09-2011 07:59 AM

Hmmm, but I HATE waiting for something I bought coz I want it RIGHT NOW :lol: Can you tell I have no patience????

Susan

donnajean 02-09-2011 08:01 AM

Magazines do not qualify for Media Mail due to the advertisement - no matter how old the magazines are.

Here is the link to check price per lb. to mail Media Mail. http://www.usps.com/prices/media-mail-prices.htm Remember, Media Mail is much slower & brutal on books & should be insured for value when shipping if you would be upset if they did not make it to their destination. Without Delivery Confirmation - an extra charge - there is no way to trace shipment.

Originally Posted by mountain deb
I read on the internet the other day that if you mail books, magazines, or cd's, then you can mail them media mail which is a whole lot cheaper. I think their example was mailing a 10lb box of book from NYC to San Diego would cost $16, but shipped media mail would only cost about $5. But you can not piggback anything else with it. Have not had the chance to try this yet, has anyone? With all the books and magazines that get sold on here, thought we could give this a try.

ctmein 02-09-2011 08:03 AM

I used to be in the book business. Yes, it is much cheaper but can be very slow. I would mail books via media to a town 60 miles away and sometimes it would be there the next day and other times it would take a week or longer. I think sometimes they see it is media and the put it on a shelf to wait. Last week when mailing some dvds via media they did not weigh enough so were sent first class. I made that comment about the shelf to the clerk and he got a funny look on his face. So now I am convinced there is a media shelf!

hoppyfrog 02-09-2011 08:34 AM

I mail heavy boxes of magazines all the time. My PO lady (she's the post master) knows they're magazines and sends them media mail. Guess each PO is different.

LindaR 02-09-2011 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Someone said (on this board) that you can't mail magazines in Media mail b/c of the advertising. I am so tired of the postal system that I'm trying to avoid it lol :D

I did and told the postoffice they were magazines, box weighted 8 pounds and wasn't that much to ship...

butterflywing 02-09-2011 12:08 PM

when you're mailing something as light as DVDs, always check to make sure media mail is the cheapest. sometimes regular mail is is the same price and always faster.