Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   mailing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mailing-fabric-t104311.html)

crowley7 03-02-2011 07:22 AM

I want to mail fabric to quilters who want fabric. What is the best and least expensive way to mail fabric?I have pmd some quilters stating they would like the fabric. If anyone else would like free cotton flannel or fleece fabric, just let me know

debbieumphress 03-02-2011 07:32 AM

The best way if by using the USPS free priority boxes. It starts at 10.70 and then large is 14.70. You can usually get a lot of fabric in those. It does not go by weight. Oh it does but you can mail up to 70 lbs in it. You can also get the smaller 4.95 priority envelopes and they are able to get 4-6 yds in it depending on how you fold it. BEcasue fabric is heavy, I think this would be the best way. The boxes are free at the post office. You can also ask for postage to cover the shipping too. . Post this in the giveaway/donations section but be ready for a lot of pm's. ♥

kathy 03-02-2011 07:33 AM

depending on how much your sending, the flat rate envelopes are $4.95, they hold quite a bit

sueisallaboutquilts 03-02-2011 09:21 AM

Fleece and flannel are thicker though. Unless you have the money to spare maybe you could charge for shipping only.

Painiacs 03-02-2011 11:38 AM

I desperately need flannel!

callie 03-02-2011 12:02 PM

If you have flannel or cotton - I would certainly take some to make quilts for 58 families who lost their homes in a fire this weekend in Amarillo, TX.
Priority Post office is pretty cheap and about same for UPS - depending on amount you are sending. Thanks!

butterflywing 03-02-2011 02:47 PM

ALWAYS check. many times (not always - so don't quote me) it's cheaper if you package it yourself. i just saved nearly $10 by packing myself on a shipment to europe. i found out by calling the post office. i found it impossible to navigate their website. they make it very easy to use their mailing boxes because it's actually easier for them, but it's hard to get other information from their site, so be sure to ask.

i've never been able to get the amount of fabric into those boxes that they say will fit. so poundage isn't even an issue. you're paying for pounds you won't use unless you ship gold bullion.

crowley7 03-03-2011 08:05 AM

Please pm me with name and address and I will send you what I can.I am so sorry for the loss of these peoples homes and personal items

callie 03-03-2011 08:20 AM

Any help is definitely welcomed! Thank you.
Callie Edwards
6503 E. Amarillo Blvd. Sp 522 (be sure to include the space #)
Amarillo, TX 79107

3 sets of fires fueled by really bad high winds that day. The largest area burned was caused by a grinder spark from a guy who was stealing and has been arrested. It is really sad because so many people lost their homes for sure. I am working like crazy cutting out 2 1/2 inch strips from the cotton material I have for as many quilts as I can make. Will take the flannel and cut into blocks and add with some that I have to make rag quilts as well.
Just want to thank you again for your kind help and know that I will be sure that these families will get quilts from your material. God bless all of the wonderful people on th is board. Callie in Amarillo, TX