Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Major mistake quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/major-mistake-quilting-t166131.html)

linda701 11-04-2011 05:57 PM

Major mistake quilting

I have been sewing for thirty years and my husband just bought me a new viking sapphire a few months ago. I was free motion quilting for the first time and hit a safety pin. Tryed to sew with machine after that and it kept breaking needles. Took machine to repair shop and repairman said I bent the shaft on it, the timing is off and he would have to order some parts for it. I was trying to keep my fabric flat as I quilted instead of watching for safety pins. I have five quilts I need to quilt by xmas. Probably won't be done by then now. I really am upset about the whole thing. Has anyone else ever done anything like this?

sewwhat85 11-04-2011 06:06 PM

so sorry about your machine

Suzy 11-04-2011 06:10 PM

linda

I hope you get your machine back fast. I haven't had that happen, but can't say it won't. Have also been sewing for over thirty years, And would be lost without my machines. I use an old singer 66-16 for quilting can't beat them.. I'm still learning the free motion stuff doing table runners and table cloths and wall hangings for practice. The larger quilts I take to a LA. Most machines could possibly take hitting a stick pin, but a safety pin is another story. I'm saying a prayer that you will get the machine back in time to get your projects done.

Good Luck

Suzy

Dee Dee 11-04-2011 06:27 PM

I have not, but have broken needles on regular pins. I have a fear of damaging the machine by that very thing

tlpa 11-04-2011 06:27 PM

Thanks for the reminder to be diligent watching for pins!
I hope the repair doesn't take too long or cost too much.

littlehud 11-04-2011 06:34 PM

How frustrating. I hope you get the machine back quickly.

overtheroadquilter 11-04-2011 06:47 PM

Haven't hit a pin, but was even dumber, forgot to change out a foot and did zig-zag stitch and hit the foot that shouldn't have been there. So I too bent the shaft on my Viking Emerald....I got it back with-in a few days but the cost was nasty!! Good Luck Linda, hopefully quick and not to expensive fix! ~deb~

jaciqltznok 11-04-2011 06:56 PM

wow..are the shafts made of TIn foil???....how can then bend so easily..and on such spendy machines...sorry to hear that....

Prism99 11-04-2011 07:02 PM

I quit using pins after I ruined my brand new Bernina walking foot (pricey accessory!) on one. The pin caught on the back of the foot and I didn't see it in time. It straightened out the spring inside the foot so the foot stopped working.

Now I spray baste all my quilts!!! Faster and easier than pin basting, plus I will never ruin another foot on a pin!

Sunnie 11-04-2011 07:04 PM

<span style="font-family: comic sans ms;"><font size="3"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">I am so sorry that your machine is hurting.&nbsp; Wish you were closer as I would lend you one of mine since you have a deadline.</span></font></span>