Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Make me like Batik.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/make-me-like-batik-t100913.html)

Jennifer22206 02-18-2011 01:05 PM

I'll probably get yelled at for this one, but I don't like batik fabrics. I don't like the way they feel, it's like they're super stiff, don't really like the way they handle, and I just in general don't see what's so great about them. To be fair, I have purchased a few from all over, some I pre-washed and others I didn't to see if there was a difference.

What do you like about batik?
What's so great?
Why do you like them?

make me like them!! I see so many pretty quilts with them, but I just don't know.. am I defective or the only quilter here that doesn't like them?

loves_2_quilt 02-18-2011 01:06 PM

I don't care for batik fabrics either.

ktbb 02-18-2011 01:10 PM

I use batiks to fit specific situations, but don't use them a lot. There are some beautiful color variations in many of the, and in small pieces, you don't notice that they feel different from other fabrics. I'm not trying to make you love them, because you, and I, save money by not using them - about a dollar a yard.

jdiane318 02-18-2011 01:16 PM

I wasn't a fan of batiks until I saw a quilt with the Tonga line of batiks, that hooked me in to give them a chance. I like how the colors blend and create different looks depending on how you look at them. You can take 5" blocks and make the coolest twister blankets ever and no two ever be the same. You can cut a batik into pieces and not find the same color, it creates a unique perspective of color.

np3 02-18-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I wasn't a fan of batiks until I saw a quilt with the Tonga line of batiks, that hooked me in to give them a chance. I like how the colors blend and create different looks depending on how you look at the. You can take 5" blocks and make the coolest twister blankets ever and no two every be the same. You can cut a batik into pieces and not find the same color, it creates a unique perspective of color.

Exactly!

wolfkitty 02-18-2011 01:22 PM

I didn't used to like them, but I saw some of the color blends and shades, and some of the quilts made from them, and I came to appreciate them. I know what you mean about the feel of the fabric. It is different. I think it has to do with the dye or dying process. But I have come to love the colors so much that I overlook that part of them.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-18-2011 01:26 PM

This is a funny thread. I never liked them either until I saw some of the stunning designs and worked with a couple and then I fell in love with them!!
I've come to love so many things since joining the board that I never knew I liked.
My wallet is skinnier these days lol :D

Stitchnripper 02-18-2011 01:26 PM

I guess I would have to agree. I do like them when someone else puts them in quilts, but on a bold they don't attract me.

deema 02-18-2011 01:30 PM

I am not a big fan of most batiks. Connecting Threads' line of "Swirl" batiks are really pretty and I bought all of those...but those were the only batiks I saw that I really wanted. There have been several beautiful quilts on here made from batiks and many of them, I am just in awe of...but most batiks don't "turn my crank". *shrug*

sewwhat85 02-18-2011 01:31 PM

i like to look at them but dont use them