Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Make quilts to keep, give away or charity? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/make-quilts-keep-give-away-charity-t42074.html)

craftybear 04-08-2010 02:25 AM

I was wondering since we have lots of quilters on this board if you usually make the quilts for yourself, give away or for charities?

watterstide 04-08-2010 02:30 AM

i have never made a quilt for myself..someday. all given away..

fabric-holic 04-08-2010 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I was wondering since we have lots of quilters on this board if you usually make the quilts for yourself, give away or for charities?

All of mine have been for family, friends and donations. The one I have on my bed I bought..lol.

mic-pa 04-08-2010 03:05 AM

I have done all three, I have three queen size quilts for myself, my family has more than enough quilts of all sizes, I have donated many quilts to charity and fund raiser type programs and right now I have eight small lap size quilts that will be given away when the need arises. I have been making quilts for almost 20 years. Marge

May in Jersey 04-08-2010 04:11 AM

I'll be keeping the quilts I'm working on now as they are going into my Guild's show in May. All the other quilts I'll be making this year will be gifts or for charity. Have 50+ log cabin blocks ready to be put together for a Veteran's quilt, and then onto some yellow centered string blocks for HeartStrings's latest challenge.

May in Jersey

Newby0709 04-08-2010 04:24 AM

Mostly to give away. The ones I keep are "practice" quilts of new patterns. Now I am working on a practice king-size cathedral window (using Eddie's tutorial) which will go to my son. They already know my "sewing skills." I have attended local groups of Project Linus and another local group to help with construction of quilts and blankets for various charities.

Jingle 04-08-2010 04:50 AM

I have given most away, out of 37 I have 5 or 6 and 4 or 5 I haven't found someone for those yet. I like making them and save the ones I really like for myself.

Jingle 04-08-2010 04:50 AM

Computer posted twice, acting real stupid this morning.

Pam 04-08-2010 05:05 AM

All of the above. I mostly keep my art quilts. I have one one my bed, a couple of throws for the sofa. I am working on a quilt now for the Citzen Sam project, quilts sent directly to Afganistan to be put on the gurneys of returning wounded soldiers.

Another guild that I belong to is making prayer shawls this year that we will give to anyone in need.

The third guild I belong to makes Angel quilts, also donates to nursing homes, ect.

joyceinoh 04-08-2010 05:14 AM

The quilts I put a lot of time into I give to family and friends.
The other quilts I make I give to charity. They are just as warm as the fancier ones.
After the flood in "07 I gave a lot of them to the local church to help those who lost all or most of what they had