Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making bias tape in smaller sizes? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-bias-tape-smaller-sizes-t93230.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 01-23-2011 03:29 PM

Today I've been working on a mock up pattern for one of my quilted stained glass windows to get a feel for the size. I haven't gotten the whole thing printed out yet (the size is 24x24 so lots of paper to piece together), but I measured out some of the leading on what I printed so far. The smaller leading measures out to about 1/8" and 3/16". The smallest size of bias tape one of Clover's bias tape makers make is 1/4".

How do you make bia tape in really small sizes and how would you go about attaching it to the quilt temporarly?

amma 01-23-2011 04:03 PM

For 1/8", I would fuse wonder under to the back of the bias tape fabric and cut out 1/8" strips. Fuse them in place and then zig zag them down. Try this on some scrap, to make sure you can make a tight turn if needed. I don't know how the fusible will act on stretching the fabric in a tight arc. You may have to tug on it a bit first, before you fuse it down.

To temporarily hold the others down, I would use Elmer's glue and then set it with an iron. It will easily wash out later, and if you want to move it? just tug on it, reposition it and then glue it back down :D:D:D

moonwork42029 01-23-2011 04:08 PM

Wow that is tiny. I'd be such a clutz I'd be burning my fingers to a crisp.

Good luck with your efforts. Can't wait to see it.

tjradj 01-23-2011 04:31 PM

What if you used 1/4" tape and cut it in half. One side would already be folded and you could roll the other edge under as you sew it? Just an idea.

jayelee 01-23-2011 04:54 PM

Quilterfancy.com sells clover mini bias tape 1/8 inch I buy my small leading easier than trying to make it

Flying_V_Goddess 01-24-2011 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jayelee
Quilterfancy.com sells clover mini bias tape 1/8 inch I buy my small leading easier than trying to make it

Saw that on Clover's site. I did some rough math and estimated I'd need an estimated 5 rolls of the stuff for the 8 wallhangings. It comes out to $75...just for the small stuff, not all the leading in the project.

susie-susie-susie 01-24-2011 01:07 PM

try bias bars. I have a set that are 1/4, 1/2, and 3/8, and I think you could make the 1/4 inch smaller. Good luck.
Sue

jayelee 01-24-2011 01:19 PM

The last time I bought some I bought it on ebay and got two and a half rolls for $5. Maybe you could check there

Flying_V_Goddess 01-24-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jayelee
The last time I bought some I bought it on ebay and got two and a half rolls for $5. Maybe you could check there

Already ahead of you. ;-) The only one I found for that size was still like $10 and none of the colors available were black.

Flying_V_Goddess 01-24-2011 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
try bias bars. I have a set that are 1/4, 1/2, and 3/8, and I think you could make the 1/4 inch smaller. Good luck.
Sue

...in all my stained glass quilt research I don't think I've heard of bias bars until now. I did find a set that did have 1/8" and 3/16". I'll have to check it out and see how to make them.