Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a dresden something...any ideas??:) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-dresden-something-any-ideas-t28451.html)

Skeat 11-09-2009 11:33 AM

We have been blessed in our quilt mission group w/some dresden plates that someone has made(very old fabrics too)...they are all in halfs and we are getting ready to join them together to make the full circle. Then we thought we'd put them on about a 14" square....now...anyone know of any ideas from there on how to put this together??Sashing?Borders?This will be a donated quilt to a charity for auction when done...Anything online that you thought was awesome??Thanks...this is all hand done and will finish in that too:)Skeat

dakotamaid 11-09-2009 11:42 AM

I have done several Dresden plate quilts and I usually use a sashing in between the blocks. I personally think it sets off the "plates" nicely.

Google "dresden plate quilt images" and see the different ways people do them.

Skeat 11-09-2009 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I have done several Dresden plate quilts and I usually use a sashing in between the blocks. I personally think it sets off the "plates" nicely.

Google "dresden plate quilt images" and see the different ways people do them.

Do you have any of your dresden's pics posted on here anywhere??

elizajo 11-09-2009 04:19 PM

I found some good ideas for Dresden Plate blocks on webshots.com.

I made 24 blocks several years ago with the intent of setting them on point Then I accidentally used the off-white solid fabric that I needed for the setting triangles in another project. Uh-oh!! I can't find the same barely off-white color to match my block background.

Plan B is: 20 of the blocks set 5 X 4 with sashing made from three narrow strips of blue print/white print/blue print and tiny nine patches in the intersections.

For the border, I have piano key strips pieced from the dresden plate scraps. Since you don't have scraps to make a pieced border (I like the ice cream cone borders the best), it might look nice to make a scalloped border from another print with a bias binding out of the sashing fabric you have selected.

butterflywing 11-11-2009 10:42 PM

are all of the plates exactly the same size or at least seemingly the same? how many will there be when done? what size do you want to end up with?

they mostly had scalloped borders with pale or pure white binding. there was no white on white, so don't introduce it. they were thirties colors, because it's a thirties pattern, although they enjoyed popularity for almost twenty+ years more. longer in the country where more women were still quilting. they didn't always have sashing. they were almost always set on white. it would be unusual to see one on point. it would have been unusual to see anything but prints. the backing was most often muslin. these were not what were called "company" quilts, which were made to be saved for company but pretty utility ones. (company quilts had more ornate patterns and more sophisticated color schemes). sometimes the spokes formed a color pattern, but mostly not. sometimes the circles had scallops, sometimes points, sometimes smooth rounds. they were always lovely and the perfect quilt for a young girl. you almost never see them in any size other than twin.

can we see them? :shock: how old do you think they are? how lucky are you guys!
show us everything as you go skeat. :lol:

edit: the background (white) ran right to the edge of the scallops. there was no 'frame' around the design portion of the quilt, unless they chose the icecream.

http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/c...sden-plate.htm

Skeat 11-12-2009 02:47 PM

Wow! THanks for that online site....and, info! Such a huge help:)I am basting the edges now..for most in the group have never appliqued anything so am making this as simple as possible:)I will take pics soon...I have to add 1 more on each half for she was 1 short to make it a flat side (hope that makes sense)..then they will be basted to go on a muslin 14"...after that, I have no clue yet:)Will take pics and post soon! Skeat

butterflywing 11-12-2009 10:23 PM

anytime. xoxo