Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   making half squre triangle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-half-squre-triangle-t118593.html)

newbee3 04-24-2011 08:02 PM

Is it possible to make half square triangle with a block that will finish off 8" by 10" If so please tell me how. I usually put two blocks together and sew 1/4" from the center on one side than turn block around and do the other side of the center 1/4" than cut down the middle they don't look right with this block maybe I am dumb but I don't get it.

sharon b 04-24-2011 08:02 PM

I don't think so as you are starting with a square and the very nature of a square is 4 equal sides -But I could be wrong

justwannaquilt 04-24-2011 08:14 PM

Are you making Half SQUARE triangles or half RECTANGLE triangles?

http://www.quiltdesignnw.com/TIP_HRT.htm

If your finsihed product is 2 inchs LONGER than it is WIDE sounds like a rectangle which can be sewn the same way. just draw a line corner to corner and stitch like a HST!

MTS 04-24-2011 08:19 PM

You want to make a half rectangle triangle block - as opposed to a half square triangle block.

You can't use the same method as the half rectangles triangles are not interchangeable the way the parts of a HST's are.

You would have to take your two rectangles (oversized) and cut them in half on the diagonal. Then match up the one triangle A from fabric A with triangle B from fabric B.

If you're making a bunch of these blocks, make sure your fabrics are ALL facing the same way (right sides up) when you make the diagonal cut, and always make the diagonal cut in the same manner - lower left to upper right (or visa versa).

Just be consistent.

I would imagine the math to figure out the size of the starting rectangles is similar to that of HST's.

So if you want a finished measurement of 8x10, then I'd start with a minimum of a 9.5 x 11.5 rectangle, make the HRT's as described above, and then trim down to the 8.5 x 10.5 unfinished.

sewsewnice 04-24-2011 09:24 PM

A neet way to make a to make four half square triangles, is to take two squares put right sides togther and stitch all the way around 1/4" all four sides. Then cut an X criss cross from corner to corner without moving the pieces. Open and press. I think you add three more inches than the actual finshed size. It's really quick and makes uniform HST's.

bearisgray 04-24-2011 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MTS
You want to make a half rectangle triangle block - as opposed to a half square triangle block.

You can't use the same method as the half rectangles triangles are not interchangeable the way the parts of a HST's are.

You would have to take your two rectangles (oversized) and cut them in half on the diagonal. Then match up the one triangle A from fabric A with triangle B from fabric B.

If you're making a bunch of these blocks, make sure your fabrics are ALL facing the same way (right sides up) when you make the diagonal cut, and always make the diagonal cut in the same manner - lower left to upper right (or visa versa).

Just be consistent.

I would imagine the math to figure out the size of the starting rectangles is similar to that of HST's.

So if you want a finished measurement of 8x10, then I'd start with a minimum of a 9.5 x 11.5 rectangle, make the HRT's as described above, and then trim down to the 8.5 x 10.5 unfinished.

I think it would be easier to make templates.

Mark the ends of the seam lines on the diagonals.

The pieces definitely have left and right to them.

If one sews a rectangle on the diagonal like the HST - one ends up with a kite shape instead of a rectangle - (Ask me how I know!)

The points on the triangles stick out quite a bit - so marking the pieces where the circles are on the "templates" helps a LOT in putting the pieces together.

newbee3 04-24-2011 10:25 PM

thanks going to try this see what happens

MTS 04-25-2011 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
If one sews a rectangle on the diagonal like the HST - one ends up with a kite shape instead of a rectangle - (Ask me how I know!)

I don't have to ask.

I know.

Exactly.

You're just going along, humming, sewing away. And then you open your two-colored rectangle to discover.....well, it ain't a rectangle.

Duh!
But it seemed like it would work, didn't it?:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have a bag of B&W "kites" somewhere. :roll: :roll:

The important thing is to always cut the angle the SAME way, and always have the fabric stacked the SAME way.