Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a large pressing mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-large-pressing-mat-t42503.html)

dmackey 04-12-2010 09:21 AM

Hello Quilters,

I was just about to make a large, portable, pressing mat that I can use to iron fabrics on my cutting board, when I ran into an issue.

I want to make the pressing mat 44" x 60", and be able to roll it up and put it out of the way when not in use and to be able to wash it when needed to remove starch.

I am using teflon coated fabric for the top, cotton for the backing and was about to use medium loft polyester batting for the batting, but thought about how it would come out in the laundry without quilting it. Quilting wont'give me the smooth surface I would want.

My next thought was to buy some Warm and Natural, twin size, fold it in half, and use that doubled up as the batting, with no quilting. I would catch the fold and the edges in the seams of the top and backing. I'm not looking for pretty, just efficient. Do you think this would work?

UPDATE: forgot to mention that I will put a couple of velcro tabs on the edges so that it can be pulled tightly and not move around when they are attached to the velcro glued to the underside of my cutting board.

Do any of you have a better idea to make one? It doesn't have to be as large as I wanted, but I do want it to be a size where I can press 44" wide fabrics at least 24" length at a time.

Thanks,

Diane

sharon b 04-12-2010 09:25 AM

Not sure about it, but wouldn't the polyester batting have melted when you ironed it ?

I just use warm and natural fold it a couple time and iron on top of that . Another board member told me that is what they do :thumbup: No other fabric on top and it presses great and wrinkle free, wash when you want

dmackey 04-12-2010 09:29 AM

Sharon,

WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT? I could have saved the money rather than buy the teflon fabric!!

Looks like pot holders are in my future! LOL!

Thanks!

Diane

sharon b 04-12-2010 09:44 AM

Hey I never thought of it either until Bearisgray showed me :thumbup: And I can make it as big or as small as needed :wink: I think Amma also does it that way , love this board :thumbup:

dmackey 04-12-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Hey I never thought of it either until Bearisgray showed me :thumbup: And I can make it as big or as small as needed :wink: I think Amma also does it that way , love this board :thumbup:

This board can be life saving, a constant source of inspiration, encouragement, useful advice and lots of fun.

Love you all!!!

Diane

Kitsie 04-12-2010 10:45 AM

Oh, I can use that one! Thanks!

amma 04-12-2010 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by dmackey
Hello Quilters,

UPDATE: forgot to mention that I will put a couple of velcro tabs on the edges so that it can be pulled tightly and not move around when they are attached to the velcro glued to the underside of my cutting board.

Diane

Are you talking about your rotary cutting mat? If so, I would keep the iron away from that or it could warp...

dmackey 04-12-2010 10:52 AM

[quote=amma
Are you talking about your rotary cutting mat? If so, I would keep the iron away from that or it could warp...[/quote]

No, my cutting table. Sorry for the confusion.

Diane

Boston1954 04-12-2010 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Not sure about it, but wouldn't the polyester batting have melted when you ironed it ?

I just use warm and natural fold it a couple time and iron on top of that . Another board member told me that is what they do :thumbup: No other fabric on top and it presses great and wrinkle free, wash when you want

That is exactly what I do. Just put a few thicknesses on a table and press away.

ctack2 04-12-2010 07:23 PM

With the Teflon on the top to protect the underneath surface, why do you need a filler of batting?
Carol B