Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making my first Project Linus quilt, and I'm just wondering (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-my-first-project-linus-quilt-im-just-wondering-t201974.html)

Prism99 09-30-2012 07:48 PM

Making my first Project Linus quilt, and I'm just wondering

if anyone here has kept track of how long it takes to make one? The pattern I have alternates squares of a focus fabric with a 4-patch block.

Wanabee Quiltin 09-30-2012 08:12 PM

I have never done a Project Linus quilt because the magazine that always showed it had a paper pieced quilt. They were cute but I am not a pp. I have made many Linus quilts but they were whatever I wanted to make. Good luck.

JJean 09-30-2012 08:19 PM

The kit I got was a 4-patch alternating with a focus fabric. It required no paper-piecing. It goes together fairly quickly. They want the binding/edges sewn down well so that tubes don't get caught--that brings it all into focus---it's a great cause.

virtualbernie 09-30-2012 08:25 PM

I never got a kit from Project Linus but I did however get one from Quilts for Kids with the pattern you describe. It doesn't take long at all--maybe a day if I remember correctly. No paper piecing.

QuiltnNan 10-01-2012 09:06 AM

it seems like an easy pattern that shouldn't take very long with strip piecing

Prism99 10-01-2012 09:10 AM

Well, I decided to keep a time table of how much time it takes me. Just seemed like I was going *awfully* slow! I think I am anxious because I didn't cut the pieces myself, I have a perfectionist streak, and I'm aware that there's really no extra fabric if I make a mistake. With my own stuff, I just whip it out and don't worry!

LadyElisabeth 10-01-2012 09:11 AM

It will depend how fast you speed along on your machine :) Project Linus always appreciates any and ALL blankets/quilts that are made and given. and YES, sew down the binding by machine so it is secure.
We have a Project Linus segment on the Hawaiian Quilting TV program on the web site. We are also editing a full half hour Project Linus Program that should be on line in a couple of weeks.
THANKS to all of you who are making blankets.

Prism99 10-01-2012 10:39 AM

Well, I am a little over 2 hours into it and found that the pressing directions for the rows is incorrect! I keep wondering if I am crazy, because these directions must have been floating around for years. I pressed them according to the directions, then found it impossible to "nest" the block seams because seams were pressed to the wrong side. Repressed all of them the other way and it worked out fine.

Edit: Nope, guess I'm crazy after all. My pressing worked great for combining three sets of two rows but, now that I have to combine the rows to each other the seams are running the wrong way. I'll make it work, but now I'm totally confused about pressing direction...... :p

Jim's Gem 10-01-2012 10:45 AM

It's easy and fast. Sounds like the pattern you get from Quilts for Kids.