Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   making a quilt from clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilt-clothes-t95943.html)

pollyjvan9 02-02-2011 03:22 PM

I think the sweater pillows are a great idea and maybe simple patchwork or applique pillows out of the other items. A pillow for a bed or sofa could be just a meaningful as a quilt and not nearly as time consuming. You didn't mention how many family members there are but it could be a LOT of quilts. I'm sure the family weren't aware of the work involved or the appropriatness (is this a word?) of the clothing they gave you to work with. Do what you can, do what you want, they will be appreciated.

Linda R 02-02-2011 03:57 PM

Dear Butterfly Blue:

I have gone through the bags today and pulled out all of the cotton poly blends and a few that were just cotton. I have a lot to work with, thank goodness. I don't have any tee shirts because all of these clothes were winter ones, so I don't have to worry about tees. I plan on using an interfacing on the back of the ones that are not full cotton, just to be safe.
I was thinking about the Cathedral Window quilt pattern, have you used that on your memory quilts?
Thanks for all your help! It is appreciated!

PABerard 02-02-2011 04:02 PM

I was at a shop and the lady, who was so much more clever than I, was given 3 things that were salvedged from a fire. A pair of sleeping pants (cotton), a partially burned crocheted afghan, and a pair of flannel shorts. It was the mom that died and they needed 3 things for the 3 children to keep to remember their mom. She used the shorts and pants to make a lap quilt (she had to add extra fabric) and used the afghan to make 2 decorative pillows. We were all crying and I can't imagine how grateful those children must have been when they recieved them.

I wouldn't worry about what you make, they will love it. Maybe you could just make a couple of table runners or a small wall hanging. I would think even pot holders, towel hangers or trivets would appreciated. Just something to hold on to. And the scraps you could sew into a pillowcase and donate it to a dog shelter for a bed. You are a dear to do this for the family. Good luck ~ Pat

Linda R 02-02-2011 04:03 PM

Dear PollyV9:

I checked out some ideas for pillows today on the internet. I think I will go in that direction too because I have so many pretty sweathers that it's ashame not to use them in something. I only have two grown children and 2 grandchildren to make for out of her things, so it's not so bad. And I agree I'm sure they had no idea what amount of work is involved in making a quilt, but it's okay...I have time on my hands anyway. Thanks again for your help and suggestions. It's all greatly appreciated.

justflyingin 02-02-2011 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Linda R
I was thinking about the Cathedral Window quilt pattern, have you used that on your memory quilts?

I wouild definitely not do the CW pattern with a memory quilt unless you have a nice stable fabric to use as the background to tie it all together. It probably would work to use the small pieces of knit, colorful shirts, as the windows. But you will have to buy or find some solid white/cream, other color to use as your frames. I have a CW as my avatar and I've done two large ones (queen sized). They are beautiful but a lot of work. A simple patchwork is much easier.

But if you've done a CW before and feel like it is for you, go ahead. I started with 15" square muslin pieces and folded down, so that I was using a 4.5" square piece for the "window" itself. That might work for you. I actually LOVE the CW pattern and it turned out beautifully. But it gets really heavy.

I probably wouldn't give a child a CW quilt, either. You mentioned two grandchildren. Unless they are older teens or above, I'd refrain from doing something so tedious as a CW.

Linda R 02-03-2011 05:23 AM

Dear justflyingin:
I have never done a cw before, but I loved the look of it. This friend of mine was very active in her church so that's what made me think of the cw. I will have to check out some other patterns I guess.
The grandchildren are in their early 20's.
Again thank you for all the information, you have been wonderful to help so much.
Linda