Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a quilt from old satin (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilt-old-satin-t58340.html)

Jayjay 08-07-2010 05:53 PM

I have my mother's wedding gown (it is over 73 years old) which is white satin and a full size bedspread which is made of satin (green and gold, which is the same age as dress). I would like to use it to make a quilt for myself, my daughter or granddaughter (l7). Can anyone suggest the proper procedure to start cutting and sewing the squares together. I am thinking that I will need to either overcast the edges of each square or put iron-on interfacing on each square. I am planning to make a log cabin tied quilt in either queen size or king size. I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to begin. Thank you.

SueDor 08-07-2010 07:05 PM

Hi there,
This is my suggestion, I wouldn't use it in a quilt, if I were to cut it up a wedding dress I would frame the pieces with there wedding picture on top of it. Just an idea.

sewcrafty 08-07-2010 07:21 PM

Try googling wedding dress quilts. There are some beautiful ones out there!!! In fact, above use the SEARCH for the same thing and I believe there are a couple on here.

I hope you have a lot of patience, because satin is beautiful, but not the nicest to work with. Make sure you use tissue paper when sewing it as its one slippery little bugger! :lol: I would also consider stabilizing it in some way, maybe get some cheap muslin to sew it to.

Good Luck!! It'll be beautiful when its done! :thumbup:

Jayjay 08-07-2010 07:54 PM

Thanks for the replies. I do not necessarily want to frame it; I have their original wedding picture in the frame they chose and I'm not really sure what would happen to the framed memorabilia after I'm gone. I do know that my family would use a quilt. Thanks again.

Sadiemae 08-07-2010 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jayjay
Thanks for the replies. I do not necessarily want to frame it; I have their original wedding picture in the frame they chose and I'm not really sure what would happen to the framed memorabilia after I'm gone. I do know that my family would use a quilt. Thanks again.

I agree! I am going to do this with my wedding dress, I just haven't decided how I want to do it. I have not been able to find a whole lot of info.

KarenBarnes 08-08-2010 03:32 PM

This is the one time I for sure would use a serger to piece the quilt! It goes together like a dream then and would keep the edges secure! Good luck! I'm sure it will be beautiful!

Butterflyblue 08-08-2010 05:09 PM

It might be worth using larger seam allowances, as well. I made a velvet and satin purse, and it fell apart because the seam allowances raveled. But it could have been partly becuase it combined satin AND velvet, and it was a big pain to sew. Those two fabrics do NOT play well together.

A log cabin would lend itself easily to sewing on a foundation, and maybe even quilt as you go, which would stabilize it a little more than tying, and might even make it more durable.