Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making quilts for sale, throw size or bed size?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilts-sale-throw-size-bed-size-t214376.html)

jnnmn7 02-20-2013 01:22 PM

Making quilts for sale, throw size or bed size??

Hi, I sell quilts on Etsy and am wondering, for those of you that sell also, What size do you think is better for sales?
I usually make Throw size but I recently finished up a quilt and have enough fabric leftover to add a border that would make it full size. It's also enough leftover to put towards a second quilt.
Any suggestions??
TIA

Jenna

#1piecemaker 02-20-2013 01:32 PM

Sorry. I can't help. I've never sold anything on Etsy. But, I would think a quilt would sell better than a throw. Good luck!

ghostrider 02-20-2013 01:53 PM

Depends on the size of the throw I'd say. I think people, non-quilting type people, have one quilt on a bed and it stays there. They might easily have several throws around the house...for different family members, different seasons on the couch, different rooms, to hang on the walls for decoration, etc. I just think they're more adaptable to different life situations instead of just being limited to a bed. They're also less expensive and faster to make and therefore have a higher profit margin, yet cost the customer less to purchase. Just my opinion, mind you, with no scientific basis whatsoever.

mom-6 02-20-2013 02:22 PM

I tend to agree with ghostrider that throws seem more likely to sell quickly although I don't have any proof either.

PaperPrincess 02-20-2013 02:26 PM

I also would vote for throw size. Although mattresses are standard sizes, it seems like everyone wants a different size quilt for the bed. Pillow tuck? no Pillow tuck? just a few inches for the fall? cover the top mattress? etc.

ckcowl 02-20-2013 03:11 PM

i've never checked out etsy to see what sells- can you look at who's items have sold?
i very seldom make a quilt smaller than a queen- though i have recently made a couple twins- generally i make & sell bed quilts- i can see the (usefulness) of smaller though...on the 'Quilts for Sale' site it seems like all different sizes sell from wall hangings/table toppers right on up to kings. i think visual appeal has more to do with it than the actual size. if someone sees it & falls in love with it they will buy it- or maybe contact you to see if you could make another in a particular size they want.
i know---no help---with your situation- up to you if your current quilt needs a border- or if it seems (finished) and you can save that fabric for the next one.

kamaiarigby 02-21-2013 03:28 PM

What size is a 'THROW' Quilt, I make a lot of quilts all different sizes, but the idea of a throw quilt, might suit me that I could make more to give away

AlienQuilter 02-21-2013 03:50 PM

One of the ladies who works at the LQS says the profit margin is greater on small quilts. Plus, you can make them faster. And, I personally think seasonal wall hangings would be quick sales. Mothers Day is coming up. Beautiful applique flowers in a flower pot would be pretty.

ninakk 02-21-2013 03:54 PM

On Etsy, throw size seems to sell quicker/easier. I'd look at places like eBay for selling King/Queen size.

patchsamkim 02-21-2013 04:10 PM

I think price-wise, it would be easier to sell throw/lap size quilts...they don't take as long to make, or use as much material. Maybe try that, and offer to take orders for quilts in other sizes, and if it seems more people want larger quilts, then make some of those too. What sizes have you been selling?