Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making sample block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-sample-block-t32414.html)

granny216 12-27-2009 03:35 AM

Does anyone else besides me make a sample block before they go out to buy yardage for the quilt you desire to make. I don't know anyone that does that and some are very unhappy with their quilts...So what do I do with those sample blocks...put them in a box and will make a sample quilt sometime!

mic-pa 12-27-2009 03:44 AM

I have done that on occasion only to see how the block comes out. You could use those spare blocks in a sampler down the road, make pot holders with them or give them to a charity group who makes quilts for the homeless etc.

ghostrider 12-27-2009 04:19 AM

Yes!! I do it all the time! Well, not before I buy fabric :oops: , but certainly before I cut it.

I use the fabrics I no longer like, those I never liked, those that have misprints, any of the 'uncool' stuff that seems like it will never get used. Being chosen for a sample block gives them a 'reason for being'. They sacrifice themselves to become a test case for a new block, a new technique, a new frontier! It has saved me a great deal of time, fabric. frustration and boredom over the years. :-D Can't say I would ever want to put all those blocks together in anything though.

diannemc 12-27-2009 04:31 AM

I do! I draw my patterns most of the time so want to make sure they work out before I cut..learned that the hard way..

sewjoyce 12-27-2009 05:40 AM

I always make a sample block out of the fabric I'm going to use to see how the fabrics look together as well as to determine how difficult the pattern will be. I keep that block by the machine as a reference to how to piece it. When I'm finished with the blocks, the "sample" is just thrown in with the rest and becomes part of the quilt. :D

Bevanger 12-27-2009 07:00 AM

sometimes i try a block to see what all it takes, or to see what it looks like

Pzazz 12-27-2009 07:33 AM

My first quilt was made from playing with different block patterns. As timing would have it, my folks were moving from their house to an assisted living complex, and had to downsize their bed. So they were now looking for a new spread for a queen bed. I asked if they would like a quilt. I put all my "learning" blocks together with some sashing, a border, and lo....there was a queen quilt!! They loved it. Even tho' I knew where all my mistakes were, they didn't. Because there were so many different fabrics, it really made a lovely colourful quilt. So, yes...you can put them together to make a quilt. If you REALLY don't like the look because of not your favourite fabrics, donate it. There are so many wonderful places out there that would love to have it.

granny216 12-27-2009 07:58 AM

One of the main reasons I do this as my friend went to a quilt retreat with me and they gave the fabric list for the quilt involved. I took some scraps and thank goodness all the time.
She and several other ladies there were not happy with their selection of fabrics (after they bought all that yardage) and she hated the piece. I was able to use 3 of my materials but at lunch time I bought a fourth fabric that worked like a charm. She just made a small quilt for one of her babies (a dog) as the dog loves it.

amma 12-27-2009 08:20 AM

All my orphan blocks will go into a sampler quilt..I want to make it double sided :D:D:D

Pzazz 12-27-2009 08:22 AM

Another idea for orphan blocks...make then pet bed size and donate them to your local animal shelter.