Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making Spray Starch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-spray-starch-t157146.html)

jpmaroni 10-01-2011 05:55 AM

going to make some! thanks for sharing.

Prism99 10-01-2011 07:58 AM

It might be a good idea to post complete recipes in this thread. I can just envision me (at a younger age!) mixing up vodka and water, not realizing the recipe needs cornstarch too!

QuiltE 10-01-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
It might be a good idea to post complete recipes in this thread. I can just envision me (at a younger age!) mixing up vodka and water, not realizing the recipe needs cornstarch too!

I don't think they are adding cornstarch when doing the vodka blends

featherweight 10-01-2011 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99

Don't put Cornstarch with my recipe...

Becky Crafts 10-01-2011 02:00 PM

Interesting thread. Thank you for sharing these recipes!

Sadiemae 10-01-2011 04:12 PM

I use the vodka, but I also add some liquid starch to the mixture.

luvTooQuilt 10-01-2011 04:42 PM

my recipe is -

1 cup sta-flo concentrate
1 cup water
1 cup of Febreeze any scent will do ( i use lavender )

Mix well and pour in spray bottle..

damaquilts 10-01-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I mix mine with:
1/4 cup vodka
2 cups water
few drops of Lavender essence

Vodka is made from potatoes so therefore it is starch.
I never get any flakeing from this mixture.

wow learn something new every day. I am going to have to try this. It really stiffens the fabric?
I buy the bottle of sta flo and mix mine like 20 water to 1 startch , I also add lavender to it.

Sadiemae 10-01-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts

Originally Posted by featherweight
I mix mine with:
1/4 cup vodka
2 cups water
few drops of Lavender essence

Vodka is made from potatoes so therefore it is starch.
I never get any flakeing from this mixture.

wow learn something new every day. I am going to have to try this. It really stiffens the fabric?
I buy the bottle of sta flo and mix mine like 20 water to 1 startch , I also add lavender to it.

I think it is more like Mary Ellen's rather than making fabric stiff, but maybe that is just me...

damaquilts 10-01-2011 05:18 PM

I buy the bottle of sta flo and mix mine like 20 water to 1 startch , I also add lavender to it.[/quote]
I think it is more like Mary Ellen's rather than making fabric stiff, but maybe that is just me...[/quote]

Thanks for letting me know. That's ok to. I have bought Mary Ellens once. It was so expensive I used it only to iron clothes. I have had the bottle going on 3 years. and there is still a little left in the bottom hehe!!!