Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making the ugliest quilt ever! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-ugliest-quilt-ever-t174375.html)

Mauck 01-04-2012 04:35 AM

Making the ugliest quilt ever!

I have decided to use up some stash so that I can make room for more stash. Out with the old and in with the new. So I have started the ugliest 10" square scrappy flannel quilt there is. My husband is 6' 5" tall and I never have a quilt big enough to keep him completely covered. He wanted something warm for winter and that would cover the bed all the way to the floor. I told him him that it wouldn't have any sort of a pattern to it and he said he did not care. So it is on it's way I really think it's ugly but I told him I could make one out of my stash of flannel. It will be 10" squares front and back and tacked together. I even have the batting in my stash. I think this may be the first think I have made that I won't have to buy anything else for.

pinkberrykay 01-04-2012 04:49 AM

You say its ugly now, but I bet it turns out BEAUTIFUL!!!

Daylesewblessed 01-04-2012 04:49 AM

I bet it will turn out nicer than you think! It should go together fast, and since flannel is kind of bulky to store, you will gain lots of space.

Dayle

deedum 01-04-2012 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mauck (Post 4840283)
I have decided to use up some stash so that I can make room for more stash. Out with the old and in with the new. So I have started the ugliest 10" square scrappy flannel quilt there is. My husband is 6' 5" tall and I never have a quilt big enough to keep him completely covered. He wanted something warm for winter and that would cover the bed all the way to the floor. I told him him that it wouldn't have any sort of a pattern to it and he said he did not care. So it is on it's way I really think it's ugly but I told him I could make one out of my stash of flannel. It will be 10" squares front and back and tacked together. I even have the batting in my stash. I think this may be the first think I have made that I won't have to buy anything else for.

Sometimes the ugliest quilt is the one that gets used the most. I know, I have "junk yard dog" quilt, a quilt I bought 20 some years ago, pea green and red and that is the pretty colors. Junk yard dog signs plastered without, but it is the warmest thing and so used over the years. For the last few years it has been missing til I found it in the trunk of my 30 yr old son's car, shocked I said there is where junk yard dog is. He stated, he loves that quilt and takes it everywhere", he and his family moved to Tx along with junk yard dog. It is the ugliest but warm and loved and now well used.

Murphy 01-04-2012 05:01 AM

How exciting. Looking forward to seeing pictures while in progress and finished. I bet it will turn out beautiful!!

nhweaver 01-04-2012 05:04 AM

Post a picture with the quilt keeping him warm. A gift from the heart, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

coldquilter 01-04-2012 05:26 AM

We are our own worst critics when it comes to what a quilt looks like. I have thought things were ugly and other people just love it. He will enjoy.

Ann L 01-04-2012 05:36 AM

Please post pictures when it is done. I feel the same way, that is why I haven't done one yet. I am the type that needs to visualize the finished product in my mind and if it doesn't look good, I won't do it. I would have a hard time making a scrapy quilt.

joyce888 01-04-2012 05:41 AM

Good for you. I think I'll do the same with a bunch of flannel I have.

CarrieC 01-04-2012 06:17 AM

You know everyone on here said it pretty well - I bet it comes out nicer/better than you think and I'll also bet it becomes your family "go to" quilt - just like the person who posted about the junk yard dog quilt.

I hope you post pictures for us!