Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Margo Handbag by Lazy Girl Designs - easy to enlarge? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/margo-handbag-lazy-girl-designs-easy-enlarge-t197424.html)

DawnFurlong 08-12-2012 12:00 PM

Margo Handbag by Lazy Girl Designs - easy to enlarge?

I have a question for those of you who have made this bag. I tend to like my purses just a little bit larger. Is this pattern easy enough to enlarge (thinking of adding 2 to 3 inches)?

I have watched a couple of Lazy Girl Designs on YouTube. Her patterns look easy enough to follow. Also, I have never added a zipper - but watching her put one it - I am thinking I can actually do it!!

JudyTheSewer 08-12-2012 01:14 PM

I have no answer for you on the enlarging question but I encourage you to add zippers to everything! They are super easy to sew into anything and they are very handy. My first sewing lesson to my daughter was to show her how easily a zipper can be sewn. She was pleasantly surprised that she could do it with no problem, for some reason they look intimidating.

Raggiemom 08-12-2012 01:58 PM

JudyTheSewer, thanks for the zipper advice. I'm glad to hear they're easy to put in. I have no problem adding them to clothes but for some reason, I've hesitated to make purses with them.

pattypurple 08-12-2012 02:26 PM

From just looking at the picture of this bag, I don't think it would be hard to enlarge. I think I might trace the original pattern and split it in the middle and add any extra there on all pieces. I rarely make a pattern the same as drawn more than once.

bearisgray 08-12-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by pattypurple (Post 5436305)
From just looking at the picture of this bag, I don't think it would be hard to enlarge. I think I might trace the original pattern and split it in the middle and add any extra there on all pieces. I rarely make a pattern the same as drawn more than once.

Cute pattern.

I think I would add to the sides - that way the handle/straps would stay put and maybe it would balance better.

DawnFurlong 08-12-2012 04:16 PM

She uses notches on her patterns (squares cut out on the part that will be the bottom of the bag), and puts some of them together differently than I have done. She does start out with rectangles of fabric though, and cuts out the notches. I am kind of pattern challenged anyway - but I didn't know how adding 2 inches to the length and width would affect those notches (if at all).

Judy the Sewer - thanks for the encouragement with zippers! I am determined that I am going to put one in the next purse/tote I make! I have had it in my mind that they are difficult, and have a hard time picturing how it works putting them in.

LadyElisabeth 08-12-2012 05:25 PM

Well, do zippers work in reversible bags? I make bags that are reversible but haven't tried to put a zipper in any of them.

lindy-2 08-12-2012 05:37 PM

ive done some of her purses and wile they look confusing at first they are fun when you get going and her method of putting in zipers is easy.