Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking a quilt with new pen. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-quilt-new-pen-t63666.html)

RedGarnet222 09-08-2010 07:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone,
I was reading another thread about ink pen ruining a quilt and I thought I would share a new product on the market by pilot.
It is an ink pen that is a nice sharp point in black ink that disappears when you are finished by heat. You just iron it and it is gone!
I found it at the last quilt show I went to in july when I was buying a large embroidery project. It is amazing! I bought it from a quilt shop booth. Now I am not sure of the name of it, I think it was the blue petunia. But I have thier card upstairs if you can not find it locally.

Here is a pic of what they look like. I think they were five bucks a piece. (Now.. don't look at my stained grout, I live in the country where the wind blows sand in all the time.)

pilot frixion pen
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113644[/ATTACH]

RedGarnet222 09-08-2010 07:39 AM

I should mention that they say it is a friction removable pen. But the lady showed me with an small clover iron how to take it off with heat.

BellaBoo 09-08-2010 07:45 AM

This will be great if the marks don't make a ghost appearance after several weeks. I had that happen before.

Quiltzilla 09-08-2010 08:00 AM

I found them on Amazon:
Pilot FriXion Ball Fine Point, Black Erasable Gel Ink Pens, 2-Pack $4.99
or
Pilot Frixion Erasable Gel Pen Black (single) $2.99

trif 09-08-2010 08:24 AM

Have you stitched with it yet? When you sew over the markings does it stick to the threads, how well does it disappear off the stitch line?

Up North 09-08-2010 09:07 AM

In reading the reviews on Amazon on these pens it mentions if You leave your "math Homework in a hot car" It will disappear but you can remedy this by placing it in the freezer. So I think if your Quilt was stored where it was cold the marks may come back. Just a FYI

Jim's Gem 09-08-2010 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
In reading the reviews on Amazon on these pens it mentions if You leave your "math Homework in a hot car" It will disappear but you can remedy this by placing it in the freezer. So I think if your Quilt was stored where it was cold the marks may come back. Just a FYI

In other words, don't store your quilt in the freezer!!!

:lol:

I would test it, iron it out, throw your test in the freezer and see what happens. If it does reappear after the chill, try washing a sample after ironing and freeze it. Better to be safe than sorry.
I am watching to see if this will really work, cause if it does, I need some of those!!!

CRH 09-08-2010 09:59 AM

I too, am very hopeful that this a solution to marking, have been waiting for THE 'miracle pen' that marks easily and disappears without a trace when you are done with it!!!!

franie 09-08-2010 10:02 AM

I have a friend out in MI looking for those. I am hoping she will find me a couple of them. Glad to hear they really do work.

RedGarnet222 09-08-2010 12:26 PM

Thanks quiltzilla for the links. On the first one I saw they have a five pack multi-colored. Cool! For redwork and bluework those would be perfect!