Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking tools for quilting..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-tools-quilting-t143750.html)

janebo 08-09-2011 12:22 AM

Hi everyone. Just wanted to know what is the best marking tool or tools to get for marking the designs on quilts ready for FMQ. Also ones that don't cause a problem getting it off when finished quilting.

katier825 08-09-2011 12:46 AM

I often draw my design on Sulky Solvy with crayola washable markers, then pin that to the quilt and sew thru it. When done, you tear off the bigger pieces and the rest washes out. I really like this because you aren't actually marking the quilt.

I recently bought some Golden Threads paper to mark and sew thru. I haven't tried that yet, but hope to very soon. I was told that it tears off easily. I hope so. It is less expensive than the Sulky Solvy, so I'm hoping I like that method.

Another thing I've used is the Bohin mechanical chalk pencil with good luck. When I took a FMQ class, I was told to be careful with other marking pens. Check them on each fabric you have in the quilt as they don't always come off. I did experiment with the blue one, I forget the brand. I had a hard time removing it from the muslin practice sandwich I was doing. That prompted my search for other methods.

ckcowl 08-09-2011 01:14 AM

many people have different (luck) with different products- no matter what you choose to use to mark your quilts you should ALWAYS TEST first to make sure your marking tool/fabric combination- will in fact come back out-
personally i have had the best luck with a good 'ole pencil-
sometimes i use chalk-white---i've heard of people having trouble getting the yellow chalk out---
once i used a water-disappearing marker an lqs employee recommended- we did not test- and i ruined a beautiful old quilt top- the lqs could not understand- said---its never done that before...
so try what you want- but test first to make sure it's going to wash out.
i've never had a problem with pencil

wvhill22 08-09-2011 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
I often draw my design on Sulky Solvy with crayola washable markers, then pin that to the quilt and sew thru it. When done, you tear off the bigger pieces and the rest washes out. I really like this because you aren't actually marking the quilt.

I recently bought some Golden Threads paper to mark and sew thru. I haven't tried that yet, but hope to very soon. I was told that it tears off easily. I hope so. It is less expensive than the Sulky Solvy, so I'm hoping I like that method.

Another thing I've used is the Bohin mechanical chalk pencil with good luck. When I took a FMQ class, I was told to be careful with other marking pens. Check them on each fabric you have in the quilt as they don't always come off. I did experiment with the blue one, I forget the brand. I had a hard time removing it from the muslin practice sandwich I was doing. That prompted my search for other methods.

are you talking about the Water Soluble stabilizer?

sewmuchmore 08-09-2011 03:01 AM

Thank you, for the tip I am going to look into this.Please let us know how the Golden Threads paper works out. :P

katier825 08-09-2011 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by wvhill22

are you talking about the Water Soluble stabilizer?

Yes, it works great!

dd 08-09-2011 03:38 AM

I use Crayola washable markers. They come in so many different colors for all different color fabrics. I did have to buy a silver pencil one time. My friend just uses a pencil, mechanical pencil, always sharp.
I've heard about the new Frixon pens but haven't tried it yet.

janebo 08-09-2011 05:25 AM

Thanks for that....I will keep this in mind.

1234Irene 08-09-2011 05:31 AM

Does a pencil mark wash out of the fabric fairly easy?

Chicca 08-09-2011 05:53 AM

A bar of soap is my choice for quilt marking at this time. I have not had any problems with it washing out.