Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   match cutting mat and tools by name? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/match-cutting-mat-tools-name-t92768.html)

toomanycats 01-22-2011 09:30 AM

I have read several times that you should match cutting mat brand with the cutting tool brand. Olfa mats should only have olfa rotary cutters used on them, Friscars only Friscars etc. Does anyone do this? Does it make a difference and why?

CoyoteQuilts 01-22-2011 09:37 AM

If I matched these tools I would be poor..... I never use the lines on any mat for any reason. I just use the ruler lines.

The only thing I really 'match' in this department is when I cut out I try to use the same ruler through the project. Different rulers may be different measurements from each other. I have QIAD, Kaye Wood, Olfa and a few other rulers with a very old Olfa mat, a self healing 12 inch Omni spin mat, and a Fishar's mat. It just depends on where or what I am cutting on what mat I use.

sewwhat85 01-22-2011 09:38 AM

i have never heard that i sure dont do that hope it is not true

amma 01-22-2011 09:46 AM

I mix and match, and haven't had any problems :D:D:D

fleurdelisquilts.com 01-22-2011 09:55 AM

Ha-ha! Cute. I can tell you that after 20+ years of quilting I have never thought to consider it a problem. I use what ever mat, scissors, rulers, cutters, etc. happen to be handy or I know to work best for the task. I mix and match and mix-up tools all the time. In fact, I don't worry about anything at all: just pray, play, have fun, sing, quilt, say a rosary, read, do nothing, do everything at once, whatever I'm in the mood for! Do not worry! Part of quilting (for me) is that it's relaxing and helps me to forget or deal with my worries.

toomanycats 01-22-2011 10:03 AM

I am glad to read the responses becuase nothin' of mine matches either and it all seems to work just fine! I think must of been an article by a specific manufacture to sell their products. The article (I read this awhile back and now can't remember where) did mention that if cutters and mats were used it could cut the mat. I have never had this problem either. just wondering if anyone else had.

np3 01-22-2011 10:06 AM

Never heard that. Would have laughed if I had!!

I have only one rule, I use the same ruler throughout a single project. They don't always match and a small difference can really mess up your blocks. There is no guarantee that an Olfa mat will match an Olfa cutter either. I only use the ruler and never use the mat.

sharon b 01-22-2011 10:18 AM

Nope I never match- and that wouldn't work for the blades from Harbor Freight :wink: LOL

np3 01-22-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Nope I never match- and that wouldn't work for the blades from Harbor Freight :wink: LOL

:thumbup:

shawnemily 01-22-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by np3

Originally Posted by sharon b

:thumbup:

DITTO :lol: