Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Meandering - It exhausts me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/meandering-exhausts-me-t203611.html)

MaryLane 10-19-2012 04:53 AM

Mine is an "old" HQ16, too. My frame is TERRIBLE. The poles droop so badly.

I think part of my problem with meandering (not stippling, shudder!) is that it is too dense. I am not one for heavy quilting. I have seen what I think are beautiful quilts but I think the quilting is too dense and distracts from the quilt.

I finished it in about 30 minutes more but I have three places were I looped over the thread and there is a small wrinkle in the batting right in the middle of it. Sigh....Each one is a learning experience!

I also may have problems with it because it requires me to look at the quilt and I don't like a lot of light and sometimes can't see where I have been quickly enough. I think it is just not for me in large quantities. It had been a year since I had done a quilt with it and hopefully it will be a couple years before I have to do it again!

Thanks for your comments and support.

Mary

alleyoop1 10-19-2012 04:58 AM

Try putting on some music and meander to the beat of the music. It might help make you enjoy it more. I've heard that a glass of wine before quilting helps you relax - never tried it but it might also help. Keep you mind on the precious little baby who will be using your quilt.

PaperPrincess 10-19-2012 05:32 AM

I had the 'where do I go next?' issue. I was always meandering myself into a corner. I finally got a white board and practiced while watching TV. That helped a lot.

DOTTYMO 10-19-2012 05:47 AM

Are there 2 kinds of meandering. The small type in specific areas. And the large type which. Goes all over the quilt top. I prefer the second large type and using music or a tv program are great. I made a scrappy quilt and quilted it to the sound of a tennis match. It looked just right for the quilt because it ended up being. Large swoops from one side to the other in starlight curved lies .

patchsamkim 10-19-2012 05:51 AM

I only do meandering on quilts that I can't figure out any other way to quilt them...and most of the time won't just meander, but do meandering with loops, swirls, stars, flowers...anything to make it not just a meander.

MaryLane 10-19-2012 05:51 AM

Alleyoop, I do use my mp3 player to help keep me steady. Wine might be a good idea and though it was 5:00, it was a.m. and I really think that is a little early for wine!! LOL

PaperPrincess, I keep practicing feathers and other things on pieces of paper but not meandering. I did practice this morning while I was waiting on my husband to leave for work. It probably helped it look okay but it didn't help me with the exhaustion of the job!

sandy l 10-19-2012 06:36 AM

Meandering is what I mostly do too. I seem to get into trouble when I try stippling.

Tartan 10-19-2012 06:46 AM

Are you meandering towards yourself or away? I am most comfortable meandering towards myself so I can see where I am going. I can do all right going left and right as well but backwards? Forget about it! I try to do a meander where I can easily judge the distance between the loops. 1/4 inch for stippling, 1 -2 inches for meander where I can judge the distance well with my eye. What I really hate is to start out with one distance and then when I compare where I finish, it is a different distance so I am really careful about that.

Jingle 10-19-2012 10:28 AM

I love doing and the look of the large stipple I do on one of two of my DSM. I can't get the hang of the small stipple. It would draw the quilt up too much for my liking. I don't like a densely quilted quilts either. Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck getting it finished in time.

Deborahlees 10-19-2012 11:12 AM

My last finished quilt I did loop de loops with hearts, seemed to go faster than stippling. I feel freer doing loop-de-loops than trying to remember with stippling not to cross over the lines.....