Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Meandering - It exhausts me! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/meandering-exhausts-me-t203611.html)

AliKat 10-19-2012 11:50 AM

Diane Guydinski [?spelling] calls it mittens and Mickey Mouse ears. Some other quilters just practice what comes to mind: flame-like, flowery, or angular. If you are still learning then don't worry about crossing the lines. It is too stressful.

Try drawing it several times before you actually do the quilting. If you want use an air erasable pencil to draw on your quilt top.

I think you are just tensing up too much. Have fun with it.

ali

Skittl1321 10-19-2012 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by MaryLane (Post 5596461)
I think part of my problem with meandering (not stippling, shudder!) is that it is too dense. I am not one for heavy quilting. I have seen what I think are beautiful quilts but I think the quilting is too dense and distracts from the quilt.

If you think it is too dense, don't do it so densely. You can do any design on any scale. If you don't like the lines 1/2" apart, make them 3" apart instead. It doesn't need to be heavy quilting.

newbee3 10-19-2012 12:50 PM

I do agree it is boring and it is really harder to do than other designs.

luana 10-19-2012 01:22 PM

The one thing I like about meandering is that it doesn't take much planning and it goes fast. It's more fun if you throw in stars, hearts, leaves - anything you can do freeform. To keep the size and spacing of my meandering uniform, I think in terms of coins - a little loop around a dime, a medium size loop around a quarter, and a big loop around a 50 cent piece. Music and wine is a good idea too.

Michelekolt 10-20-2012 02:57 AM

Meandering is what I do best. For me I like to take a breaks between rows.

sept97 10-20-2012 04:36 AM

oh my I would give my right arm for an HQ16 but I can't justify the cost. How do you like it? I either do meandering or I use my janome 350e to embroider a design in each sandwiched square. Depends on my mood

needlefruit 10-20-2012 04:42 AM

Wish I had a nickel (or even a penny) for every mile I've 'meandered.' I, too, am a meandering fan---first on a domestic machine and now on a Gammill. Have you tried meandering to music? That helped me in the beginning, and now I continue to do it that way---you can get a rhythm going.

JenelTX 10-20-2012 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Missus Fear (Post 5596336)
Idea! What about hiding things in it?

I love this idea!!!!!!! That is so fun! I'm working on a quilt now for my adult stepson, and I just might hide a couple of surprises in there for him.

CanoePam 10-20-2012 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane (Post 5596461)
Mine is an "old" HQ16, too. My frame is TERRIBLE. The poles droop so badly.

I think part of my problem with meandering (not stippling, shudder!) is that it is too dense. I am not one for heavy quilting. I have seen what I think are beautiful quilts but I think the quilting is too dense and distracts from the quilt.

Mary

You can learn to meander in all sizes. I took a class where we were trying all different sizes including loops the size of juice cans! I also like soft quilting on most quilts. I generally use a meander that has loops about 2" apart. Meets my need for soft result but good for holding things that get a lot of washing. I found I have to look at the spaces not the meander lines.

Pam

luvstoquilt301 10-20-2012 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=sept97;5598672]oh my I would give my right arm for an HQ16 but I can't justify the cost.

Save your pennies and anything else. I paid $2,500 for mine on Craigslist. I know there have been times in my life that even that would have been impossible. I had 4 kids then.