Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Measurement for crib quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/measurement-crib-quilt-t129786.html)

Divokittysmom 06-11-2011 06:30 PM

I have been reading postings on dimensions of quilts for cribs. The sizes seem to be all over the map!
Would making a crib quilt say: 40"x 60" be adequate for tucking in etc?
Thank you again for all your patience with my endless supply of questions on crib quilts! :lol:

justwannaquilt 06-11-2011 06:37 PM

Im not going to say yay or nay here however will suggest you talk to the parents about what the baby will be sleeping with in their crib. Parents today (myself included) are advised AGAINST "tucking" infants and young children in while they are still crib age do to SIDS (sudden infant death syndrom)!

My suggestion...make a quilt that is 48x60(ish), this size makes a GREAT quilt for the parent and baby to cuddle up under TOGETHER hanging out on the couch or in a chair, its also a great size for tummy time even when babies start to crawl around. It is a great size even for my seven year old! This is the size I have started making and EVERYONE loves them because they are so much more versatile than just a 28x52 (crib size measurments)

quilttiludrop 06-11-2011 06:37 PM

45" x 60" is a very common size for a crib quilt.

bjeriann 06-11-2011 06:45 PM

I like to make mine large enough so they can still use it as they grow. 45"x60" to 60"x60"

thepolyparrot 06-11-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
...make a quilt that is 48x60(ish),

About this size is going to be good for a toddler quilt and an even older child, too.

I made some just a little bigger than this (abt 50 x 64) for my grandchildren when they were about 6 and 8 and they still use them for watching tv.

The "normal" crib size is quickly outgrown - the ones that are a bit bigger can be cuddler keepsakes for a long time. :)

bakermom 06-11-2011 06:51 PM

I usually go 45 x 60(maybe a bit less) It's a nice size for a crib and can be used on a toddler bed if the parents go that route.

If I'm careful I can get three out of a queen-size batting

alikat110 06-11-2011 07:25 PM

45 x60.

Mattee 06-12-2011 04:43 AM

I agree with everything here. Just to add, it's not just parents; pediatricians today recommend that babies not have anything in their cribs except for a tight-fitted sheet. There are so many other wonderful uses for a quilt, though! My son has more than a dozen. I guess it's that nesting instinct on steroids!

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Im not going to say yay or nay here however will suggest you talk to the parents about what the baby will be sleeping with in their crib. Parents today (myself included) are advised AGAINST "tucking" infants and young children in while they are still crib age do to SIDS (sudden infant death syndrom)!

My suggestion...make a quilt that is 48x60(ish), this size makes a GREAT quilt for the parent and baby to cuddle up under TOGETHER hanging out on the couch or in a chair, its also a great size for tummy time even when babies start to crawl around. It is a great size even for my seven year old! This is the size I have started making and EVERYONE loves them because they are so much more versatile than just a 28x52 (crib size measurments)

Divokittysmom 06-12-2011 03:08 PM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on quilt sizes. Obviously, I am behind times on current baby trends regarding cribs. :oops: DD told me the same thing when I called her, but she of course still wants a quilt for our little guy when he arrives.
I appreciate your input so much! :D