Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   memory quilt .... need advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/memory-quilt-need-advice-t114923.html)

nikki128 04-10-2011 03:55 AM

Hi all-

i may have gotten myself in to deep and I need some help. My uncle passed away in Feb and as my aunt was going through his clothes I told her if she wanted to send me some cotton stuff and I'd make her a quilt. Now, I have a bunch of his clothes. I am stuck I am so afraid to mess it up.

I was thinking to start maybe just cut everything into 6" squares. Then go from there. I know i can use 6 " squares in a lot of patterns. Has anyone done this before??? Is there a better generic size to cut? I'm thinking maybe just making a charm quilt ..... Can anyone think of anything I should consider? Also, do I need to stabilize the cotton before I sew? She gave me mostly t shirts and a couple of pairs of pants.

Thanks for your help. I'm afraid without help I'll never tackle this one.

emsgranny 04-10-2011 03:59 AM

Would for sure stabilize the t-shirts - they have a tendency to stretch especially when quilting!!!

Dont be afraid - anything you do will be cherished!!! You cant mess it up!! Its a gift from the heart cheryl :-) :thumbup:

nikki128 04-10-2011 04:02 AM

How do I stabilize prior to cutting or after?

Plain Jane 04-10-2011 04:04 AM

I wish I could help. I'll be watching the responses though. My mom died last month and I have some of her clothes to to the same thing. Right now, I sometimes just bury my face in them and breathe in the scent of her perfume.
Thank you for doing this for your aunt. Whatever you end up doing, this will be precious to her.

nikki128 04-10-2011 04:06 AM

Thanks for the words Jane. I will keep everyone up to date on the progress once I start.

TonnieLoree 04-10-2011 04:08 AM

For the T-shirts, yes. You don't mention what sort of fabric the pants are, so I can't make a recommendation there. If they are polyester, then yes do so. If they are Docker type, then no. Maybe you could take the pants to a fabric store and ask the advice of someone there. They would be able to give you a better assessment for what you need than me, sight unseen.

Cut the garments apart first, leaving the pieces whole, then stabilize. You will get more usable fabric from a smaller 4" square.

nikki128 04-10-2011 04:12 AM

Thanks for the advice :)

quilticing 04-10-2011 04:27 AM

Think historical. Great grandma used everything. Crazy quilt blocks are easy and use odd-sized pieces. For ease in assembling, cut a square you're comfortable with putting together.

nana20010 04-10-2011 04:47 AM

i did one in jan. of this year for my xfil with his cotton shirts did string and stars my pictres are on here i u wont to see it. i posted it jan 26 under mil quilt. and realy any thing u do will be loved millie

nikki128 04-10-2011 04:56 AM

Your quilt is beautiful Nana ..... did you stabilize everything first?