Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Memory Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/memory-quilt-t5011.html)

Redgo243 03-07-2008 05:23 AM

Hey guys,
I need a little advice. I made a memory quilt for my mom for Christmas and it turn out wonderful. I only had one problem. After it came back from the quilters the pictures were stretched. I didn't put anything behind the pictures. I didn't have her quilt the pictures themselves she just did in the ditch around the borders.

Do you think it would help to put a stablizer behind the pictures? or what?
I'm using printed treasures fabric squares.

I would be thankful for any advice!!!!
Thanks in advance!
Cynthia

quilt_mommy_2001 03-07-2008 10:26 AM

I haven't made a memory quilt yet but it's on the list! Lol* Would you have a picture around to share? I am curious as to what kind of stretching happened. :)

Good luck, I am sure the many experienced quilters here will have good words of advice for you.

Moonpi 03-07-2008 11:57 AM

I guess the safest course would be an iron-on stabilizer on the back of picture squares before assembly. I had heard of pictures being skewed from the fabric itself being attached to glue sheets alone, but had not considered your circumstance. Was the product you used stretchy?

alix 03-07-2008 01:06 PM

I'm in the middle of a memory quilt in log cabin style with photos in the centre. I didn't have any problem with stretching while piecing it but i did find that some printed sheets had more inherent stretch than others. once they printed they were fine but once i rinsed dried and cut to centre size they seemed to warp and skew a bit. I ended up throwing them out and reprinting with EQ

I've found that although Colour Plus is lovely in the high thread count cotton the stretch is bad, although the linen is better. EQ printables I think are the best to use, great colour saturation and quality, the feel is lovely. I haven't seen printed treasures here (Sydney) but I don't much care for miracle or premium either as the saturation on the printer is not as good.

I don't know if the stretch is done and there won't be much more work done how you snap it back, I dont think the iron on stabliser would hurt but I'm not sure it will help.

Redgo243 03-07-2008 02:16 PM

I didn't notice it stretching when I was putting it together. I was thinking that maybe when it was rolled up on the longarm machine. It may not happen if the pictures were actually quilted but I don't want that look.
Maybe I will try the stablizer.

I"m just not sure!!!

Bernadette Harwood 03-09-2008 11:09 AM

I think it is too late for this quilt unless you want to take it all apart. Way too much work. I would stabilize the next one with iron on interfacing, shirt tailor is nice. I use it for my tee-shirt quilts.

live2teach 04-06-2008 04:48 PM

I'd like to know what you ever decided about the quilt. Do mind posting pictures of it? I'd love to see it. I'm going to be making 7 or 8 memory quilts this summer, so I'm doing my research.lol.

justme 04-06-2008 05:20 PM

The memory quilt that I did, I used Printed Treasures, no problems whatsoever. Once printed, I soaked as instructed and then dried. Ironed- no steam - turned out wonderful. Gave as a gift and friend has no problems with it. Still looks great! did a stitch in the dicth around pictures. Was not long armed quilted. I just quilted it myself.