Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Memory Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/memory-quilt-t6070.html)

Roben 04-10-2008 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
In chat last week, I mentioned that I was working on a Memory Quilt. I saw this idea last year on a Simply Quilts show, and have been waiting to try it. I have the background quilt done, and now I'm playing with putting things on the quilt. I have an antique sewing theme, and asked my Mom to send me some of her and my grandmother's sewing items. I plan to add some antique items I've acquired along the way.

My dilemma is that Mom sent a couple of notes with various items (which is fantastic) but she wrote them on yellow legal pad paper in green ball point ink (not so fantastic.) I plan on adding a clear pouch on the back of the quilt to hold the laminated notes - I can't think of anything else to do with them. They won't scan :cry: .

Here's the quilt in progress:

Pam Pollock 04-10-2008 10:56 AM

Roben,
Maybe you could get your mom to do a re-do on the notes (if you want them in her handwriting)? If she used black ink on white, would it skan better? Otherwise maybe you could type her notes in a nice font on the computer & put her name after it (at least you would have her words). Then you should be able to print on fabric? Just ideas... :-)

Pam Pollock 04-10-2008 10:57 AM

Oh silly me!!! I forgot to say that I really like your idea!!! That will be neat! :D

countrymaid 04-10-2008 11:23 AM

Could you use a light box and trace the writing on to your muslin. Or trace on another piece of white paper. That way you could scan and then resize it if you needed to.

amma 04-10-2008 04:58 PM

Love your quilt :D Could you put plastic pockets in the corner squares on the front of your quilt to put your moms notes? They could be easily read that way, you could decorate them with sewing notions around the sides, maybe?

Roben 04-11-2008 05:28 AM

These are really great ideas - thank you all! Unfortunately, getting the notes re-done isn't an option (family issues - long story.) I thought about tracing them onto muslin, but fine detail work like that eludes me at the moment (although that may get better, so I'm definitely keeping that option open!) If I can find any laminating medium that would provide UV protection, then I could put them on the front with the objects they describe - I'm just really concerned about light fading that green ink and bleaching the paper.

I have more research to do before actually attaching everything. One of the pieces is a wooden crochet hook my Grandfather made for my Grandmother in the 30's, and the package of needles is black paper - I can easily back the needle package with a piece of acid free cardboard, but again I'm concerned about it fading over time. I'm thinking of attaching the crochet hook by sewing on a ribbon and tying the hook, that way I can check it periodically.

I really want to do this as well as possible, even if it takes longer. Thank you for all your ideas - they really do help!

sandpat 04-11-2008 05:44 AM

I'm thinking about the notes and wonder if you took them to a Kinko's or someplace similar...they have better quality copy machines. They could copy them for you, then you could probably scan them...or them might even be able to scan them for you there and email them to you....just a thought.

BTW..you quilt looks wonderful and will be precious to your family.

live2teach 04-11-2008 05:57 AM

That is a very neat idea. I love it and I can't wait to see it completed. It sounds like you know exactly what you want...which is great. You've done a wonderful job on it so far. :)

amma 04-11-2008 09:54 AM

Could a photo/graphic shop do something with all of their special effect tools, and pull just the writing off of the page for you so you could transfer it to photo fabric?

Feathers 05-24-2008 12:14 PM

Your memory quilt is really cute. I love the idea.