Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Messy Sewing Room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/messy-sewing-room-t141848.html)

Quilting Angel 08-02-2011 09:14 PM

It drives me crazy to quilt in a messy room, which I can't stand anything out of place anywhere....lol. I always make it a rule to clean my sewing room after every project.

Latrinka 08-02-2011 10:40 PM

yes, I like my sewing room to be neat, but it gets messy! After a while, I have to stop and clean before I can move on to another project. love the cat in your avatar!

Annaquilts 08-02-2011 10:45 PM

Yup I also need some order and cleanliness.

Meme2six 08-03-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka
yes, I like my sewing room to be neat, but it gets messy! After a while, I have to stop and clean before I can move on to another project. love the cat in your avatar!

Thank you, she is such a good companion. The only problem is she is spoiled rotten. I've been on my own for 11 years and got her a few years ago to help with loneliness. I didn't realize SHE would own ME! She was a rescue kitten and I love her dearly.

Lindsey 08-03-2011 10:30 AM

I have too many things going at once. I need to take a break and pack things up and start all over again.

fbs810 08-07-2011 01:16 PM

I organize sewing room for people..But sorry you are out of my area Wisconsin. HA Seriously, here are some tips.
1. You are a serious artist, and your workspace should be off limits to everyone but you. Only your things in there.
2. Everything should have a place. That may mean going up the walls, or/and using small containers, shelving.
3. Your workspace needs to be large enough to have room for your machine, ironing, cutting, planning.
4. Try to find a friend you could help organize first. Take all out of the room and QUICKLY sort out anything not really needed. Bag it for good will or white elephant sale.
5. Quickly sort out all current projects that have directions, fabric ready- washed/ironed with correct straight of grain. Put each project in lg (2Gal) zip lock bag. You may have to xerox the pattern from a book. Don't store the book in the project. If the project is missing something put a sticky note inside with that item on it to remind you later. Saves time. Set these aside.
6. Sort out all books, patterns, instruction or information sheets, Clear out unwanted ones and sort the rest by subject matter. Set aside.
7. Gather all notions and tools, temp store in larger plastic bin to work on later.
8. Fold all fabric so raw edges are inside. Fold to a set size - 12x12 or 6 x 9. Stack by color unless you havde or temp in boxes, or baskets, or bins. e a lot in one subject area like holidays, or orientals, or batiks.
Sort them by themselves and color. Set these aside. Move out machines, cutting tools and surface, ironing supplies.
Remove any shelving or other furniture.
9. take a piece of graft paper and measure the room and let each graft square equal 6 ". Now measure all furniture and make little colored paper cutouts of each. Measure the piles of fabric, UFO's, Books, machines, tables. Get a drink and
sit down with 2-3 more pieces of graft paper and the furniture pieces and rearrange the space. Decide what shelving and bins u will need. ?'s fbs810

Maybe1day 08-07-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i'm the opposite.

i can't create in a room thats too nice.

i see some rooms on here that look like a decorator put it together.

i would be too afraid of making a mess and ruining the nice furniture/etc.

I'm the opposite, my sewing room doesn't have to be perfect/spotless but it does need to be tidy as I feel overwhelmed in a messy room/space.

Maybe1day

Meme2six 08-08-2011 07:00 AM

Great ideas fbs810. I'm planning to use all of them this coming weekend when my plan is to clean the sewing room. I really appreciate all the input I've received from this board. Great motivators and ideas.

Kathy Osterby 08-08-2011 07:10 AM

I t5otally agree! :lol: My bedroom is my sewing room. I live in a 2 bdrm mobile home and everytime I have to cut things out the last batch of fabrics ends up on my bed! When cutting table gets too bad it's time to put all away.

Connie in CO 08-10-2011 11:00 AM

Boy,I'm never going to get my sewing room cleaned.Connie in CO