Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Methods for Applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/methods-applique-t72740.html)

MaryKatherine 10-28-2010 03:58 AM

I'm torn everytime I see a quilt pattern I like and discover the applique is only fused on. I don't trust these to stand up to the wear and tear of use. I know people blanket stitch the edges but it just doen't appeal to me.
Is anyone else reluctant to use this method in anything other than a wall hanging?

marymm 10-28-2010 04:04 AM

If you do find such a pattern, consider adding seam allowance and needle turning. I've made a couple of Christmas quilt tops (that I hope to get finished soon! and I just figured they wouldn't need an awful lot of washing.

weezie 10-28-2010 06:30 AM

I like only needle-turn by hand or satin stitching by machine around the edges. I don't like the raw edge/blanket stitch look either. As Marymm said, you could add seam allowances to patterns you like.

kathy 10-28-2010 06:52 AM

you can apply the applique any way you choose, just remember to add some to turn if it isn't included in the pattern, it doesn't take a full 1/4"

Annaquilts 10-28-2010 06:58 AM

I feel the same way and either modify to put it on with interfacing or needle turn. The other ones stay wall hangings.

janedee 10-28-2010 07:23 AM

the only time I have used fusible applique is on a wall hanging all my quilts (I do mainly applique) are all needleturn just allow enough for turning under and use the pattern you've got

Spring 10-28-2010 07:50 AM

I too am having this problem. When my girls were little I did a lot of appliques on their clothing. I didn't like how hard the applique was after it was fused. So if I ever do any appliques quilts I will needle turn and some how find a way of keeping it in place without the fusing it because there is NO place in my quilts for a stiff applique. Im a newbie and to me quilts are for cuddling and snuggling...I have yet to make anything I want to display on the wall!

Prism99 10-28-2010 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine
I'm torn everytime I see a quilt pattern I like and discover the applique is only fused on. I don't trust these to stand up to the wear and tear of use. I know people blanket stitch the edges but it just doen't appeal to me.
Is anyone else reluctant to use this method in anything other than a wall hanging?

I like fusing only for certain applications. Most of the time I prefer to do machine applique using the freezer paper method. (Learned this from Harriet Hargrave's book.)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-28-2010 08:57 AM

I use the Eleanor Burns method. Fusible interfacing stitched around the piece, turned inside out and stitched down. It gives a finished edge to the piece. You can see more about it at her Quilt in a Day website.

scowlkat 10-28-2010 09:24 AM

I personally don't care for raw edge applique but for those who do, more power to you! I have done needle turn but since I prefer a more instant gratification, I use satin stitch most of the time.