Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Monthly Fabric/Quilting Allowance or Budget?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/monthly-fabric-quilting-allowance-budget-t146471.html)

JUNEC 08-20-2011 06:52 AM

I have seen several members reference quilting or fabric allowances/budgets when I am reading through topics .

I'm still fairly new to quiling & am curious about how much each of you budget for fabric/quilting supplies each month.

How does it work - drowning in expenses - need to budget, any advice would be helpful

bj 08-20-2011 06:58 AM

I don't really budget, per se. But I don't buy fabric much anymore just because I like it. I try to get fabric with a particular project in mind. And I'm pretty slow, so my fabric purchases are spread out. My only impulse buys for fabric are fat quarters. I like to pick those up just for fun.

But I'd think budgeting for quilting would be like any other expense. Figure what your income can afford and stay with it.

Dingle 08-20-2011 07:04 AM

I don't really budget either. I also don't buy like I use too. I do always look if I go out to garage sales. Never know what you might find :thumbup: The one thing I never seem to have are blenders and tone on tones. I buy that more then anything right now.

QuiltingKrazy 08-20-2011 07:06 AM

I have tried to limit my impluse buying on the internet!
I am trying to buy fabric only when I need something for a specific project. I have promised myself to start purchasing
3 or 4 spools of thread when I catch it on sale to add to my collection (which is small right now) cause it never seems to fail, I'll start on some small project spur of the moment with stash fabric and I don't have thread to match! ugh! I guess what I am trying to say is I am trying to purchase more sensible! not so much impluse!

luvTooQuilt 08-20-2011 07:08 AM

I dont have a budget... I buy what I like when Im in the mood to fabric shop. Im the impulse buyer most of the time..

quiltstodo 08-20-2011 07:13 AM

I limit myself to 100.00 a month. When I go shopping I don't take credit/debit cards that way I don't over spend. And I wait for the sales and coupons. I keep the money in a separate coin purse and what I don't spend goes to next months purchases. That way I hopefully have extra by time the quilt show is here since there is always so much I want there. If I buy online I put that receipt in the coin purse and take out the money and put it toward the card I used online. Just my little game I play with myself helps to keep credit cards down also.

donnajean 08-20-2011 07:22 AM

I don't buy anything unless I know I have the $ to pay the credit card bill in full when it comes. That's after putting some asside for emergencies each month.

i use my credit cards to buy everything but when that bill comes in its paid for in full - i only use the cards to earn the cash back and for the benefit of not carrying around cash.

fabric_fancy 08-20-2011 07:28 AM

i do budget because my quilting is my only source of income.

i budget $1000 a month. i typically buy something every month but very rarely do i spend the entire $1000.

what ever i don't spend is put into the business savings account that way if i need repairs on machines or need to buy a new machine the month is already in the account for use.

i too am like donnajean, i have zero credit card debit. i paid for my cars in cash, i only took a mortgage for 40% of the homes purchase price.

i use my credit cards to buy everything but when that bill comes in its paid for in full - i only use the cards to earn the cash back and for the benefit of not carrying around cash.

susie-susie-susie 08-20-2011 07:50 AM

My only budget is the limit on my credit cards--I have 2, but only use one of them. I,too, pay off the cards each month, and prefer that to carrying cash, especially for gas.
Sue

dltaylor 08-20-2011 07:54 AM

not really on a budget, but I don't buy unless I see I have extra money, which has not been much lately