Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In the Mood For Sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mood-sewing-t50154.html)

sabrinaquilts 06-17-2010 09:50 PM

I had previously posted "What to do when lack sewing mood." I got wonderful suggestions. I am here to report that I made it to the new BOM club at my LQS. It was so much fun! I really missed going to a club instead of always taking a class. My favorite LQS stopped doing clubs. I got tired of classes. The new BOM club I signed up for is at another LQS. At the club I even won some sweet 16s and I was given free fabrics to make this month's block. I was so stunned and I realized it really has been a long time since I did a BOM club.

I took my first class on using my Bernina 8 Series for my 820 sewing machine. It was a lot of fun. The instructor was not as informative on this machine but she was able to help the others. I was the only one that was brave enough to do some sewing on it after purchase. The instructor still made it fun and the more experienced sales staff kept popping in to answer my questions. I hope the next one will have a more experience person teaching. There were times when I could hear crikets churping coming from where the teacher was standing.

amma 06-17-2010 10:11 PM

Happy to hear that you found an interest and are back to sewing again :D:D:D

sharon b 06-17-2010 10:12 PM

Glad you have your groove back :thumbup: Sounds like you will really enjoy the BOM , may have been just what you needed :lol:

sabrinaquilts 06-17-2010 10:19 PM

Besides this board, what really helped me hold on until my BOM club date and my machine class was sewing on a charity quilt. My friend's church offers a pack of 5 and half inch squares of fabric already cut and sorted. I just have to sew them together. I can sew relatively straight on my new machine. With the charity quilt I don't have to be so exact. It was a real nice practice for me because I tend to be too exacting. My friend always tells me to, "Loosen up Anna! Nobody will care if the blocks are not matched perfectly." I am thinking in my head, "Yeah, but I will." Then I tell myself to be quiet and stop being a stuffy Asian.

I go To The Sea To Breathe 06-17-2010 10:20 PM

I think I caught the lost the mood disease. I want to sew so bad, and I go to get stuff ready and the kids are doing stuff, our daughter is setting watching tv and I just go back in our bedroom and luckily I get on here. Maybe once my thyroid meds start kicking in that will help. But it is kind of depressing when you want to do something and just can't make yourself. I would love to take a class but right now just don't have the money. We have so many family dynamics going on in our house. I wish I could go somewhere and just sew for 3 days..LOL..Just venting. I will go back and read what the last suggestions were for getting back on track. thanks

Cuilteanna 06-18-2010 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by I go To The Sea To Breathe
But it is kind of depressing when you want to do something and just can't make yourself.

I suggested to my dh that an 8 series machine might motivate me to start sewing again... he just rolled his eyes.

We don't have ANY quilt shops, never mind clubs, and the one group I found that was friendly is nearly an hour's drive from home (depending on traffic). Since I spent $84 yesterday to fill the car from 1/4 tank to full I'd rather not drive that far unless I really must.

I even have a project sitting on my sewing table, but the most I can do is one or two seams and then I lose interest and wander away to the television or computer. I don't know why I feel like a new machine would make the slightest bit of difference to that. I suppose even at one seam per day, I might finish a simple block in a week.

About matching seams? One of my blocks was slightly off and I was NOT in the mood to unstitch it again. Out came a metal ruler and a fabric marker to match the offending piece. It now looks perfect unless you get really close!!

End of venting -- anyway, you're not alone!

raptureready 06-18-2010 03:45 AM

Nothing like a new class, club or machine to get you back in the mood. (oops the first time I typed machine it came out MAN") Freudian slip????? Oh well. LOL

sueisallaboutquilts 06-18-2010 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Nothing like a new class, club or machine to get you back in the mood. (oops the first time I typed machine it came out MAN") Freudian slip????? Oh well. LOL

HAHAHAHAHA I think it was :D:D:D

reach for the stars 2 06-18-2010 05:08 AM

Glad u r sewing again.

pollyjvan9 06-18-2010 05:14 AM

If you have it in your head that a new machine will help how about buying an inexpensive old machine. Since I took an old Necchi portable out of my storage building I have had a blast working on it. I can't tell you why, it just seems like fun. You can usually find an old machine even in working order for very little money. Might be worth a try.