Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moratorium on Fabric Spending (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moratorium-fabric-spending-t196310.html)

IBQLTN 08-03-2012 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 5411222)
I love your beadwork! It helps to sell and get some $$ to buy more!!!

Our first show was rained out. The second show was the first time it had been held and they did not advertise nor did they post any signs so it was kind of a flop too. I'm hoping when the weather cools that we'll be able to do a show that actually makes some money! I was surprised that my 'bling things' weren't more popular. They are great for marking your scissors, decorating your purse handles or zippers and I even have some that are connected to cell phone straps. I hoping for an improved market in the fall!

Pat625 08-03-2012 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN (Post 5415328)
Our first show was rained out. The second show was the first time it had been held and they did not advertise nor did they post any signs so it was kind of a flop too. I'm hoping when the weather cools that we'll be able to do a show that actually makes some money! I was surprised that my 'bling things' weren't more popular. They are great for marking your scissors, decorating your purse handles or zippers and I even have some that are connected to cell phone straps. I hoping for an improved market in the fall!

Fall is usually better for selling..Try the online live auction Tophatter,,,things like yours seem to sell well

jillaine 08-04-2012 05:37 AM

Well, inspired by this topic, I created a Stash-buster challenge. See the link in my sig file. I hope you'll join me.

Scissor Queen 08-04-2012 06:25 AM

I tried the moratorium thing one year. I didn't buy any fabrics except what I absolutely had to have to finish a project. But at the end of that year I spent a good $400 on the year end sales. So now I just buy 2 or 3 yards of something I absolutely love every two or three months and I end up spending a lot less over the year.

MsElaine 08-04-2012 06:45 AM

My New Year's resolution was not to buy any fabric unless I had a specific project in mind . . . so I ended up buying several kits. I like your idea of a total moratorium.

Pat625 08-04-2012 02:24 PM

OOPs Guess who went to Joannes today?? But I only bought fabric for a backpack my daughter wanted (at least the fabric purchase) Of course I had to get batting at 50% off and the 25% off full purchase that is...and well the little rotating cutting mat for cutting my hexagons just jumped into my cart on it's own...I can't really count the thread either since I really needed it!! But I still got out of there under $100!! 62.50 to be exact!

Taughtby Grandma 08-06-2012 04:21 PM

I did real good for a few months, I only bought fabric if I had a specific quilt to make. But this last weekend I fell off the wagon and rolled down the hill!! JoAnn's had a coupon for 25% off entire order - I saved $166.00 (no patterns or tools)! I spent $126. Then I went to Hobby Lobby, they had a great sale, then I went to Walmart & saw some remnants at a good price. Now that I've had my fix, I should be able to behave myself and sew down my stash again.

seazteddy 08-07-2012 01:10 AM

I "try" not buy any "new" fabric but if some fabric at a yard sale jumps into my hand, I have to give it a good home. It's only right, you shouldn't leave an orphaned fabric. LOL

WesternWilson 08-07-2012 02:17 AM

I too have been on a fabric diet lately! I have a huge stash and too many projects backed up.

Like a lot of you I am concerned at the projected rise in fabric prices. If cottons go up much more, then I think the quilting industry could crash. I do not see younger quilters coming along in numbers anywhere near large enough to replace the aging demographic in quilting. Machines and tools are more expensive than ever....I think if fabric prices rise we could see this hobby pass out of the reach of most women, particularly those who are still raising families.

I wonder what quilt store owners are thinking these days! They must have some kind of plan for the future.

burchquilts 08-07-2012 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine (Post 5416886)
Well, inspired by this topic, I created a Stash-buster challenge. See the link in my sig file. I hope you'll join me.

What a super idea! Thanks for thinking of that! I need all the help I can get... the quicker I use up my stash, the more room I'll have for new stuff!