Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   more on muslin... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-muslin-t214129.html)

twoxover 02-18-2013 05:59 AM

more on muslin...

i loved looking at all the quilts with muslin! here's a question...what type/brand of muslin do YOU buy...and do you prewash? also...if you do prewash your muslin...do you prewash ALL of your fabrics, or just a muslin washer??

Betsey

Lori S 02-18-2013 06:23 AM

I buy Roc Lon 403 and 404 ( bleached and Un bleached) its permanent press and pre- shrunk. The perm /press really does diminish the incredible amount of wrinking you get with some muslin. It does still have some shrinkage , but not like some of the others . I buy full bolts of each of these. I consider these to be staples in my fabric inventory.
All muslin is not created or performs the same. I bought some many years ago that once washed .. there was almost no way to get the wrinkles out, after that experience I learned a few things and found the ones I mentioned.
I do buy Kaufman muslin 108 wide for backings, its a very very nice quality .

QM 02-18-2013 06:26 AM

I buy Moda Muslin by the mini bolt. I really like the feel of it on the back of a quilt.

luvstoquilt 02-18-2013 07:08 AM

I buy Kaufman but I also buy it at thrift stores and estate sales if I find it. I have had some that really wrinkled when I washed but I did what my grandmother used to do...I sprinkled it, put it in a plastic bag and let it sit for an hour or so..then I ironed it...came out just perfectly.

KarenR 02-18-2013 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5869728)
I buy Roc Lon 403 and 404 ( bleached and Un bleached) its permanent press and pre- shrunk. The perm /press really does diminish the incredible amount of wrinking you get with some muslin. It does still have some shrinkage , but not like some of the others . I buy full bolts of each of these. I consider these to be staples in my fabric inventory.
All muslin is not created or performs the same. I bought some many years ago that once washed .. there was almost no way to get the wrinkles out, after that experience I learned a few things and found the ones I mentioned.

Is the muslin that is permanent press 100% cotton?

KarenR 02-18-2013 07:21 AM

I buy the Kona cotton. Found that with coupons it is the same price is good muslin.

Does anyone use the Bamboo muslin from JoAnns?

EasyPeezy 02-18-2013 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5869728)

Lori, can you tell us how the Roc Lon compares to Kona in terms of weight? Thanks.

Lori S 02-18-2013 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR (Post 5869878)
Is the muslin that is permanent press 100% cotton?

Yes it is 100 percent cotton.

Barb_MO 02-18-2013 08:25 AM

I have used at lot of Roc Lon, I buy it by the bolt wide width and the normal width.

Jackie Spencer 02-18-2013 12:23 PM

I love the Muslin from Keepsake Quilting. I do not pre-wash any of my fabric. Have been quilting since the mid 70's and never had a problem.