Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   More questions.... thread & value kit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-questions-thread-value-kit-t28732.html)

Naturalmama 11-14-2009 06:58 PM

Hi again! I just got back from JoAnn's - I was looking for things on my "list" of things I will need (that you provided :))
I had an Olfa 45mm rotary cutter in my hands and was looking at the rulers when dh found an Olfa "value kit" with, what appears to be, the same rotary cutter, a 6x12 frosted ruler and a 12x18 mat - on clearance for $14.97! I'm sure the quality isn't quite the same, but I went ahead and got it anyway. Do you think it was a wise purchase?

And I was looking at the Gutterman thread they have - it's all 100% polyester. If I prewash (preshrink) all the fabric first, would this thread be ok?

(and I got a bunch of fat quarters at the quilt shop (on major sale) and the quilters dream batting..... I'm getting closer! ;))

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-14-2009 07:36 PM

Hey Mama, I'm a beginner, too. I'm starting my 3rd quilt so I don't know much, but I bought the Joann's value pack starter set. So far so good. My only complaint is the mat could be bigger. Larger pieces of fabric are difficult to fold well enough to get precise cuts. If you keep your fabric pieces smaller, it is no problem.

Lisa

sewhappy57 11-14-2009 07:43 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me! :thumbup:

sewnsewer2 11-14-2009 07:48 PM

It sounds like you made wise purchases. When you can afford it you should get a large cutting mat tho, as it will be used often. I love mine, but they aren't cheap!

MadQuilter 11-14-2009 07:53 PM

That's a good buy, but you will probably want to get a larger mat and a larger ruler. When you fold a yard of fabric in half twice, you need the 6X12 ruler to extend beyond the fabric and the next size mat allows more alignment flexibility.
The square ruler will come in handy to square smaller blocks.

Remember - don't expose your mat to heat/sunshine - it will warp. (ask me how I know)

Pam G 11-14-2009 07:57 PM

I agree wise purchases. It took me a long time to get the bigger mat but you'll get there. Not sure if you have a hobby lobby near you but they periodically put quilt items on sale, try to get one on sale or use their coupon to get one at a better price. Stay on the net looking for free patterns.

Remember to have fun with this!!

Naturalmama 11-14-2009 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pam G
Remember to have fun with this!!

My soapmaking turned into a business, and while I still enjoy the creative end of it, it's become stressful. This will just be for "me" - so I sure hope it will remain fun!!!! :D

amma 11-14-2009 09:16 PM

Good buy!!! You can always get another mat like other's have said... I would invest in a bigger ruler first :wink:
There are some here who piece with polyester thread, some only cotton and some who use both... Personal preferences... :D

patricej 11-15-2009 02:49 AM

heck yes that's a great buy!!! the ruler alone could cost more than that in some shops! same for the cutter ... come to think of it ... same for any of the individual pieces in the set!

i also recommend you get a bigger mat as soon as you have the space and funds for it. BUT the smaller mat will still come in very handy very often, so it was also a wise buy. :wink:

learning how to fold your fabric "just right" so you can cut with a smaller ruler is a valuable skill to develop. the shorter the cut, the less likely you are to make mistakes. the ruler is less likely to slip; you have a more accurate view of the entire length of the cut; you don't have to bend over as much or as far; so altogether it's more pleasant and less tiring.

even if you don't prewash your fabric, it's a good idea to open it up and press it flat. then, refold it along the selvages carefully so it all lines up nice and straight. carefully fold it up again so that the first fold lines up with the selvages. IGNORE THE ENDS of the fabric. check to make sure the second fold lies flat once the first fold is aligned to the selvage. once it's all nicely straight and flat along the folds, square off the end from which you plan to cut. when you cut, make sure to line up your ruler on both the cutting edge and the bottom fold. check this every time you cut. if you need to re-square the cutting edge every once in a while, do so.

practice, practice, practice. it's worth it. ;-)

my personal preference for piecing and quilting has turned out to be 100% cotton thread. i prefer the price of polyester but i have decided that cotton is easier to work with (because it's much easier to pick out cotton stitching than polyester. and i do a LOT of picking out. :roll: :lol: )

i use polyester for most machine embroidery. it's less expensive and more durable than rayon and shinier than cotton. (although i do sometimes use cotton thread to embroider when i want less shine.)

pocoellie 11-15-2009 06:17 AM

The "kit" will probably work for you, at least for a little while. As far as the thread, if you're using 100% cotton thread, I've read you should use 100% cotton thread. Connecting Threads has their Essentials Threads at a very good price, it's 100% cotton, $2.00 individually, 1200 yard spools and if you get the packages, it's even cheaper.