Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   More on walmart and fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-walmart-fabric-t8223.html)

Knot Sew 06-18-2008 11:56 AM

I came across this while looking for some fabric. There is a feed on walmarts affect on companies that were supplying fabric to walmart interesting

http://www.jandofabrics.com/newsletters/2007/08/another-fabric-company-damaged-by.html

thequiltlady08 06-18-2008 12:46 PM

When my husband went in to business this is one lesson he was told up front - never, never let one contract be more than 33% of your income. Walmart has, unfortunately, done this - maybe it will be slow going for other fabric manufacturers to close - maybe we'll have more fabric stores open up!!

Cathe 06-18-2008 01:25 PM

You know, Walmart doesn't have some kind of civic responsibility to provide us with fabric OR to keep other companies in business. As the poster above me mentioned, it's very short-sighted of fabric manufacturers to put all their eggs in one basket. Walmart bought their product for a while and now they are discontinuing that branch of their store. Walmart is JUST A BUSINESS! They are accountable to their stockholders for profits, and if one part of their business continues to lose money, they really need to do something about it.

I have made many many garments and quilts from Walmart fabric, and I have relied on them weekly for thread, interfacings, notions... I will miss it very much when they are gone. It was nice while it lasted. But it's a business, and I wouldn't expect them to go on selling things that are not profitable. It doesn't make sense.

sewnsewer2 06-18-2008 05:44 PM

If you ask me, WalMart is only hurting themselves by not continuing their fabric dept. Many people only have WalMart to buy from.

jbsstrawberry 06-18-2008 07:53 PM

All I can say is that I bet Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave. His way of business has been totally lost in what he had created since his death. Yes, WalMart is nothing more than another business, but it wasn't what Mr. Walton had intended it to be by a long run either. While he was still alive and at the helm, it was a big business sure enough, but it was a big business with a conscious. He cared about his employees and he cared about his customers. That is no longer true. A family member recently ended their employ with a WalMart. Said family member has a family of their own now, and once the probationary temp position time ended and the offer of full time was offered the first thing asked was about benefits. Said family member was handed a pamphlet explaining Medicaid/Public aid as an acceptable health insurance plan. Now, I don't know nor do I profess to know if this is standard procedure, or just the one management person at this particular WalMart's procedure, but how scarey is this really? I'm pretty sure, imho, this isn't the way Mr. Walton intended his "family oriented" business to turn.

pocoellie 06-19-2008 05:01 AM

I refuse to shop at Walmart. There's a book named "How Walmart is destroying America and the World" by Bill Quinn. Before I read the book, I had never been a big fan of WalMart, I haven't been in there since. It's a scary book. I have even cut back my visits to JoAnn's, Michael's and have never shopped at Sam's Club.

thequiltlady08 06-19-2008 05:07 AM

I agree with pocoellie and jbsstrawberry. WalMart is not the store it used to be. I shop there as little as possible. I only go to buy fabric when I know there is something there I want. Some of their material is junk, some is nicer. I do sew clothing too but I will be using JoAnn's much more often now. I prefer quilt store fabric and when I can afford it I go there as my first choice. Sam Walton would be devestated to know what his heirs are doing...

Roben 06-19-2008 05:28 AM

I remember when Wal-Mart had 'Made in America' signs all over the store (am I old or what?!) I agree that businesses have responsibilities to stockholders, but I also believe they have responsibilities to act in ethical ways, and I personally don't believe that Wal-Mart does that. Their practices brought down Vlasic, among many others: http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2003/3046wal-mart_pricing.html

We Americans would like to make a living wage, but want to purchase goods priced so inexpensively that they have to be made in countries that pay very little -lots more there, but I'm being nice :-) There is no such thing as a contract with Wal-Mart that is only a small percentage of any companies' market; Wal-Mart is simply too big for that.

Our family shows our displeasure in the only way that matters much anymore; with our cash. We choose not to shop at Wal-Mart. The bottom line is the that the only reason they have that kind of power is because people shop there. It's the same reason all the little businesses close when Wal-Mart comes to town; they can't compete with that kind of buying power, we shop where its the cheapest, and there goes the Mom and Pop shop. Now when they remove the fabric, there is no alternative.

Bevanger 06-19-2008 05:36 AM

It's really sad about Walmart. I used to go there for EVERYTHING. I go for fabric, but lately I find myself more and more at Joanns, I agree with the person who said only 4 lanes were open. I swear one day a couple weeks ago I went in and I felt like I was the only one in the store. And it was after 10. Only the 10 items or less lane was open, BUT no one there. I had to stand in line for 20 mins with almost passing out it was hot in there. Finally I left my basket there and left the store. I know it sounded cruel, but I was sweating bullets and afraid I was gonna pass out and I just couldn't wait any longer. I never went back......

Quilt4u 06-19-2008 05:42 AM

I have worked for Walmart and Jo-Anns lets just say you don't know what gos on behind the doors.