Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moths! Ack! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moths-ack-t287539.html)

sewbizgirl 04-14-2017 10:50 PM

Moths! Ack!

Several months ago I bought some wool batting, when Hancock Fabrics were closing their stores. I put it away in an empty dresser to wait til I got ready to hand quilt a top. Tonight I got it out and there are two tiny moth holes where those little pests have gotten in and eaten some wool. :mad: This is my first time to use wool batting. What I need to know is this: If I use the batting, will it be safe enclosed in two layers of cotton, or will the moths eat through the cotton to get to the wool batting? We have a lot of moths around always (here in the middle of the big, big woods in Mississippi) and I would be heartbroken to hand quilt this special quilt, only to have it eaten up by moths.

Hoping someone who has experience with wool batting can answer me. :)

jcrow 04-15-2017 02:52 AM

I only use wool batting and have never had a problem with moths or bugs of any kind. I live in the woods of Oregon and there are lots of moths around. Hope this helps. I've been making quilts since 1992.

mermaid 04-15-2017 02:53 AM

I can tell you what I have read (and don't remember where) to put in plastic bag and put in the freezer--for at least 48 hrs. It is supposed to kill the moths and larvae. Before I learned this, a friend asked me to alter a mouton jacket that she had bought at a yard sale. I had it in a bag, lying on my washer for several days. When I opened it to proceed, little worms fell out. The moth eggs had hatched. She told me to toss the coat. Then I learned about the freezer. EHOW.com might have some info re what to do. Gee, I never thought about moths and wool batting--think I will stay with cotton and poly--can't stand creepy crawlies!

Mitty 04-15-2017 03:20 AM

You need to get rid of the moths/larvae/eggs before using the batting. Wool batting doesn't wash well, but wash anything it's been in contact with. I've read the freezer trick that mermaid mentioned works, though I haven't had to try it myself. I had moths in a coat closet once, and I washed all the coats that were washable and picked off the nits from all the ones that weren't. What a pain!

Macybaby 04-15-2017 03:24 AM

I've only had moth problems with stuff that is stored, not in use. I store my wool quilts (wool fabric, not batting) in the cedar chest. My grandmother made quilts using wool scraps all the time, and only those folded in the closet ever got holes from moths.

joe'smom 04-15-2017 05:20 AM

The only time we had a moth problem, they ate holes in my two cashmere sweaters. Snobby moths, I guess, because they left the wool alone, LOL. I bought those cedar pieces they sell in various catalogues, and haven't had a problem since.

Since this is a special quilt, I might go with Quilter's Dream Request cotton batting, which is specially made for hand quilting and which people rave about, just so as to not be worrying about the wool.

sewbizgirl 04-15-2017 05:44 AM

Thanks for the input/advice!

Boston1954 04-15-2017 05:49 AM

Suddenly I am glad that I am allergic to wool. Hope everything works out for you.

sewbizgirl 04-15-2017 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 (Post 7804935)
Suddenly I am glad that I am allergic to wool. Hope everything works out for you.

That was helpful.

mamagrande 04-15-2017 08:33 AM

We recently had a problem with moths...didn't actually see the moths but saw the damage to my DH expensive wool suit. My bad..I didn't know it was wool, so I hung it up with the rest of his suits. We went to a conference and he took that suit that he had worn only once and after we got home I noticed a few holes on a sleeve and some on the pants.
Well, that's that for that suit.