Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Muslin for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/muslin-backing-t2801.html)

Country Quilter 10-19-2007 09:10 AM

I prewashed some muslin this morning intending to use it for the backing on two wallhangings...... it came out of the washer and dryer all crinkly and am wondering if that will present a problem when the wallhanging gets washed later on....it will be quilted about every 1 1/2 inches for the most part....

Anybody every try it for a backing???

KATHY D 10-19-2007 09:49 AM

I have used muslin for the back of a quilt before. When I washed the quilt is was just fine. No problem at all. Hope this helps.

Susan F 10-19-2007 09:52 AM

I have found muslin to do that sometimes, but I don't remember it being a problem after that. Try washing it again and see what happens, it may just be the sizing in it.

Country Quilter 10-19-2007 10:05 AM

Thanks....I am trying it on the smaller of the two.... only because I cut that one the right size and didn't cut the bigger one right! LOL I cut it prior to washing it....dummy me! It shrunk quite a bit!

sewmuch 10-19-2007 10:08 AM

I have used it quite a bit for the backing for my string quilt blocks. It is
something I always wash before using and it does shrink the first time.

nanabirdmo 10-19-2007 01:19 PM

muslin is one of my all time favorite materials for quilting. i have backed many quilts with it and used it for background also. it surely needs to be washed first, shrinks a lot.
it also comes in many different widths. be aware that it may be wider or narrower than we are generally accoustomed to. but after quilting it is a beauty. i use it to achieve an antique look on my scrappy quilts.
hope this helps.

Country Quilter 10-19-2007 02:33 PM

thanks for all the replies....its good to know I shouldn't have to worry.....I quilted the one wallhanging...and it does look awesome on the backside! Very impressed...I have used it for piecing before but never for a backing so was a bit concerned..

Thanks again!

Rebecca Chambley 10-19-2007 03:13 PM

I only use muslin for the backs of all my quilts, Since I make sure all my quilts are washable, they always come out great, I like it because with washing it comes out soft to the touch. Used as well, on my rag quilts, my crazy quilts, ( dyed it first). My crazy quilts are colored themed, so I sometimes dye it to match the color theme. And the quilting either by hand or machine looks great.

mimisharon 10-19-2007 03:44 PM

I try never to run out of muslin. When I get coupons off on fabrics I buy the wider stuff for the really big quilts. It does shrink like flannel and ravels really really well! Did you notice that? lol lol

Sounds like your wall hanging will be beautiful!
Happy Quilting,
Sharon

jbsstrawberry 10-19-2007 03:46 PM

Patsy, picture?? We wanna see the finished one!!!!