Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My "first quilt" idea.... (sorry, this got long...) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-%22first-quilt%22-idea-sorry-got-long-t31715.html)

Naturalmama 12-16-2009 08:54 AM

Since I realized that my ideas of making a queen size first-quilt were a bit big when I don't know what I'm doing, I've been trying to figure out what would be a good, practical smaller quilt, something good for "practice". And I now know what I NEED to make. In the last week I've been stuck in a vehicle (two of our vehicles, two different problems!) in frigid temps - I'm especially concerned about my 5yo. Normally we bring a blanket, but he grabs his nice lightning mcqueen blanket - something I really don't want to be dragged out in the snow & slush. Soooo - a nice and warm quilt just for the car, something fun for ds. An I spy lap quilt!

So now I have questions - can I use fleece for the batting and/or backing? Ok, I know I CAN, but is it advisable? I'd like this to be snuggly - even if we don't get stuck again (we better not!), ds always takes his coat off as soon as we get in the car - then he's cold - so he would use this a lot.
Should I use flannel or regular woven? It may be hard to find I spy things in the flannel.... I do have a few fabrics I can cut squares from for it, but I definitely need to get more - is there a shop that sells I spy charm packs? Would it be proper to post an "in search of in the classifieds here? (I would be prepared to pay or trade, of course!!)
Any clue as to how many 5" squares I'd need to make something like this? I know, I need to start figuring these things out myself - this is the part I find most challenging.
Now I'm excited that I figure out a project that will actually be useful! - and I can try quilting it myself! :D

Jim's Gem 12-16-2009 10:16 AM

If you want different "I spy" blocks, you would probably need to use regular cotton for the I spy blocks. I have seen some quilts that used flannel as the sashing with cottons. You could also use the regular fabrics for the front and back it in flannel. Whatever your bent is for pre-washing fabrics, always pre-wash flannel. It shrinks more and at different rates than the regular cottons.
I have never used fleece on the backs of my quilts. I hear that it stretches a lot.
As far as the number of squares, determine the size you want the quilt to be, if you plan on using sashing between the blocks, if you want to add borders, etc. When you are figuring sizes remember that a 5" block will really sew up as 4 1/2" any sashing or borders, take a 1/2" off each for seams when figuring sizes. I hope this helps a little!

King's Daughter 12-16-2009 12:06 PM

A raggy flannel quilt with flannel in the middle would be very cuddly and warm and cute, too. There are lots of cute flannels out there that you could probably do an I Spy quilt from. They're also pretty easy to make.

Darlene 12-16-2009 12:12 PM

I use fleece that is bought on the bolt as a liner for my small quilts and wall hangings. It comes in regular or iron on types. It is unlike fleece sold as fabric.

Naturalmama 12-16-2009 12:24 PM

Lots of good thoughts! Thank you! I was thinking about how I have a lot of jeans set aside and could make a rag quilt - then I remembered that the reason I thought of making this quilt was so I could practice quilting on a smaller quilt! :roll: So I guess a rag quilt is out on this one.

Does anyone know - can you buy packs of I-Spy squares anywhere? Besides ebay, I've seen some there....

King's Daughter 12-16-2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Lots of good thoughts! Thank you! I was thinking about how I have a lot of jeans set aside and could make a rag quilt - then I remembered that the reason I thought of making this quilt was so I could practice quilting on a smaller quilt! :roll: So I guess a rag quilt is out on this one.

Does anyone know - can you buy packs of I-Spy squares anywhere? Besides ebay, I've seen some there....

I found a set of 100 flannel squares (2 each of 50 prints) on etsy, for $24, with free shipping in US.

Naturalmama 12-16-2009 01:28 PM

I'm so glad you mentioned etsy - I had't thought of that! :)

Tiffany 12-16-2009 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama

I have seen I Spy fabrics done up in packages, usually 10-inch squares instead of the normal 5-inch squares for charm packs. Ask your LQS if they would consider making up a package of these fabrics for you. Most LQS are very helpful and if you are interested in something like this, then so are others, which means they'll likely be thrilled to set up something like this for you.

Yes, I would say definitely post in the fabric swap section that you are looking for I Spy fabric and would be willing to pay or trade for them. I bet you get some great responses!

Another consideration might be to use wool batting. It quilts like a dream and isn't heavy. Well, isn't any heavier than most quilts.

Naturalmama 12-16-2009 01:39 PM

I found a great pack on etsy - although there are pieces in some others that I'd love to have in there too - so once I see exactly what I have, I will probably post an iso. I'm getting excited!

amma 12-16-2009 04:14 PM

Post in the Classifieds here...a number of us have been doing I Spy Swaps :wink: and I KNOW I have some extras :D:D:D I bet you would get a number of takers!!! :D:D:D