Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My first traditional quilt,,,not going so well...frustrated!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-traditional-quilt-not-going-so-well-frustrated-t80653.html)

Dina 12-04-2010 07:01 PM

I have been quilting about a year, but this is my first traditional quilt. I am using the Ohio Star pattern. Yesterday went really well. I figured out what fabric to use, figured I would make four different squares and make four of each, and I successfully sewed three squares.

Today nothing has gone right. I just finished ripping and ripping and ripping.

I am smart enough to not sew any more tonight, but when I was stacking my 4 1/2 inch squares, I noticed that some of them seemed larger than the others. Well, I was right. Some of them are 4 3/4 inches. Now how did that happen??? I use the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler???

So I am frustrated and wish I had not started. The quilt is for my sister-in-law. I just decided to make her a quilt and asked her husband what colors she liked. He happened to mention that she had been looking for a quilt with the Ohio Star pattern, so I figured....why not? She doesn't sew, but she sort of collects quilts.

Well, now I wish I had stuck with Warm Wishes or something that I had done before.

BUT, things will look better tomorrow. I just had to vent. I have ripped enough seams out today to last me until 2011!!

I am not trusting myself enough to trim those squares tonight. I would wake up tomorrow and find they were wrong again.

Thanks for listening. I feel better already. :)

Jennifer22206 12-04-2010 07:03 PM

ok, this happens to everyone. Take a break today,, try again tomorrow. Some days are just better than others! You'll be fine

erstan947 12-04-2010 07:04 PM

It will be worth all the extra effort in the end. I learn by my mistakes. Trust me I have made them ALL. Tomorrow will be better!:)

shawnemily 12-04-2010 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
It will be worth all the extra effort in the end. I learn by my mistakes. Trust me I have made them ALL. Tomorrow will be better!:)

Ditto........

When you get back at it tomorrow you will have much better luck!

quiltbugs 12-04-2010 07:45 PM

Yup, we have all had many times like that, I bet. Just walk away from it for the night -- you shouldn't be around dangerous sharp quilting tools anyway when you are this frustrated. :-D :-D

joan_quilts 12-04-2010 08:01 PM

Been there, done that! LOL It will be better tomorrow. I am teaching my dil to quilt, and she is learning that in quilting, you have to accept boo-boos and learn how to fix them.

kathidahl 12-04-2010 08:04 PM

You are so wise to walk away when things are not going well. That is a hard lesson to learn, but a valuable one..whether quilting or some other life activity...

trupeach1 12-04-2010 08:06 PM

been there done that.......and hate when it happens. I put it away and take it out the next day.

cherylynne 12-04-2010 08:07 PM

Yes, I did my share of rippin out today and I am still not ready to sew tomorrow. I'm trying to do a tablerunner with FMQ and I just can't seem to get my machine to work. Come back to it tomorrow, I guess.

amandasgramma 12-04-2010 08:10 PM

I don't believe I've EVER gotten all my squares to match up when I get them done!!! That's why we SQUARE UP!!!! I just pray the points are obviously bad!!!!! Hang in there....