Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   My Homemade Quilt Frame Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/my-homemade-quilt-frame-pattern-t100812.html)

nanna-up-north 02-18-2011 07:26 AM

My Homemade Quilt Frame Pattern

5 Attachment(s)
I had some requests to show info about the homemade frame I bought at an auction a few years ago. I don't know who made the frame but my hubby says it wouldn't be difficult to make. I'm quilting a king sized quilt on it right now and have had to fold in the borders to make it fit..... it holds a queen or full sized quilt really well and I've quilted both those sizes with the quilt nice and flat. My rails are about 115" long measured from gear to gear. I'm going to add a picture of the base and a drawing I made with measurements. If you have any questions or need more pictures, just let me know. I'll try to answer anything about it.

The ends of the frame
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118311[/ATTACH]

Gear assembly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118312[/ATTACH]

Inside the gear assembly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118313[/ATTACH]

base of the frame
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118453[/ATTACH]

Measurements of pieces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118454[/ATTACH]

harryb1834 02-18-2011 07:35 AM

Thank you for sharing this.
Harry

CoyoteQuilts 02-18-2011 08:15 AM

I believe Grace sells just the gears. They are plastic, but work well. That would be easier than trying to make them....

nanna-up-north 02-18-2011 02:17 PM

Whichever you choose to do.... it sure makes a nice frame and I don't think it would cost much for the lumber.

deranged_damsel 02-18-2011 02:20 PM

THANK YOU! I built a frame some years ago, but could never figure out the gear part. I will show this to DH and see if we can make it work with what we already have :D

nanna-up-north 02-18-2011 02:35 PM

I'm so glad it might help.

auntbevy 04-27-2020 08:53 AM

how to mount a quilt on the frame

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 2559034)
I had some requests to show info about the homemade frame I bought at an auction a few years ago. I don't know who made the frame but my hubby says it wouldn't be difficult to make. I'm quilting a king sized quilt on it right now and have had to fold in the borders to make it fit..... it holds a queen or full sized quilt really well and I've quilted both those sizes with the quilt nice and flat. My rails are about 115" long measured from gear to gear. I'm going to add a picture of the base and a drawing I made with measurements. If you have any questions or need more pictures, just let me know. I'll try to answer anything about it.
The ends of the frame
Attachment 118311
Gear assembly
Attachment 118312
Inside the gear assembly
Attachment 118313
base of the frame
Attachment 118453
Measurements of pieces

I have a quilt frame very similar to this that was passed down to me. Now I have made a quilt top and am ready to mount it on the frame. And,I think I know how to do that but I'm not sure. And, the frame has fabric wrapped around and tacked to the frame at places -- What are those for?

juliasb 04-27-2020 03:18 PM

What ingenuity! What size machine are you using it on or are you quilting by hand?

scrappingfaye58 05-05-2020 02:52 AM

how cool!! What a smart person to build this!