Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Iron Recommendation (for what it's worth!!) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-iron-recommendation-what-its-worth-t143587.html)

Carron 08-08-2011 09:57 AM

I am glad you are having good luck with your Rowenta, mind leaks. Have a B&B and it is a charm.

Kitsie 08-08-2011 10:20 AM

Got a good, cheap price on a Shark but it shuts off within 5 minutes! Far too soon to allow me to sew another bunch to be pressed. Just very frustrating.

So I just got a Proctor-Silex for $11. Very light, but no shut off, so we'll see. A Rowenta is way out of the financial ballpark for me!

TanyaL 08-08-2011 10:37 AM

I have a Rowenta Professional Luxe that is 8 yrs old. The dogs knocked my ironing board over once and the bottom of the iron (not the sole plate) cracked, but it has never leaked one drop. I have used it almost every day for the 8 years - probably has been the cheapest iron I ever owned considering I never had an iron that worked that long before. It uses household water, doesn't clog, always steams.

maryel 08-08-2011 01:31 PM

Rowenta's are THE best in my opinion! I wouldn't own any other kind.

Havplenty 08-08-2011 01:42 PM

I agree with the below statement. I have never had a problem with my Rowenta's, ever. Each has lasted me for many years before I've had to replace them. But I have never gotten one for the price of $36.00. I paid significantly more.

I remember the days when Rowentas were only sold in fabric stores some 20+ years ago when I first started using them. As a matter of fact, I didn't know there were other brands of irons other than Rowentas. :XD:

Originally Posted by maryel

bob1414 08-08-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty
I agree with the below statement. I have never had a problem with my Rowenta's, ever. Each has lasted me for many years before I've had to replace them. But I have never gotten one for the price of $36.00. I paid significantly more.

I remember the days when Rowentas were only sold in fabric stores some 20+ years ago when I first started using them. As a matter of fact, I didn't know there were other brands of irons other than Rowentas. :XD:

Originally Posted by maryel

Actually..........I just looked at my receipt and the cost was $33.91!! This is why I recommend it - the price is great! I think perhaps the model is being discontinued - I bet that's why it was a bargain.

NJ Quilter 08-08-2011 02:02 PM

I have a Rowenta as well and have never had issues with it. And it's fallen and the casing cracked and still no leaks. I think the trick with Rowentas is that they make some that use tap water and some that use distilled. You just need to make sure you use the proper water and you'll be fine. Mine, too, has the auto shutoff but as said earlier, just tipping it turns it back on and it's back to temp very quickly.

Kitsie 08-08-2011 02:22 PM

Anybody have a T-Fal Ultraglide FV 4379 iron? Came up as best by one review site. Another gave it 4:5. One review said not for quilters, another said excellent for quilter!

Would appreciate any info! Thanks

hmross 08-08-2011 02:27 PM

I just have a cheapie iron that I can't even remember the brand. I have a hard time justifying a large expense on an iron.

virtualbernie 08-08-2011 02:38 PM

I have a Rowenta Pressure Iron & Steamer that I love. It doesn't leak I think because the water is held in a separate reservior (sp) and the steam comes through a long hose attached to the iron. It's a little pricey though. I've also got a Continental Platinum iron that someone on this board suggested. It does not use steam--no steam holes and does not have an automatic shut-off but for it's small size, it's heavy as the dickens! Paid $28.00 for it at Home Depot. I love it also!

I solved the problem with forgetting to turn off the iron by plugging it and a lamp in a power strip that's powered by a light switch. When I leave the room I turn off the light and so does the iron!