Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My "NEW" pressing tool! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-new-pressing-tool-t176984.html)

jaciqltznok 01-25-2012 09:52 PM

My "NEW" pressing tool!

3 Attachment(s)
I saw a lady demo HER version at the quilt show in OKcity and figured I could make my own version of it. AFterall, it is only a pressing bar, like a tailors HAM.
I bought a piece of Oak 1/4 round trim molding at Lowes, had my DH cut it the lengths I wanted and then glued two piece together to get the shape I needed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306285[/ATTACH]

then I covered the oak stick with a layer of insulbrite and a layer of duck canvas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306286[/ATTACH]
I then stapled it all with a heavy duty stapler, and tapped the staples down smooth with a tiny hammer. I think the end result is nice, but a bit wider than hers though, but that is really not an issue at all. The purpose of having the rolled top is so that the seams press open cleanly! By using unwashed duck cloth I can now steam it to shrink it down nicely! **This view is of the bottom, not the top where I will be pressing!**
[ATTACH=CONFIG]306287[/ATTACH]
costs, trim was $6.00, and I got the 18" and a 30" stick out of that. I bought 1/3 yard each of insul-brite and duck canvas for only $4.65, the staples I had. It took all of 40 minutes to make these. YAY for me! Now to see how well this works...I had a tailors sleeve ham but it did not have a small enough hump for the seams..this appears to just right!

Wine Woman 01-25-2012 10:22 PM

Please let us know what you think! Great job!

MacThayer 01-25-2012 11:57 PM

Well, aren't you the innovative one! I'm going to have to make a couple of those myself. Thanks for the info!

sewbeadit 01-26-2012 12:19 AM

I know what a pressing ham is but what are you pressing with this tool you made? What was she demonstrating at the quilt show?

mltquilt 01-26-2012 04:01 AM

I purchased one of these about a year ago and love it. Makes pressing open seams so easy.

mltquilt

luvTooQuilt 01-26-2012 06:50 AM

Gadget?!?!? :shock: did someone say Gadget?!?!?!! :p oooooooohhhhhh I love gadgets!! :o Ok so what does this gadget of yours do?? :eek:

Thanks for sharing this tute.. but could you be so kind as to tell me what it does and how you use it..

jaciqltznok 01-26-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 4911574)
I know what a pressing ham is but what are you pressing with this tool you made? What was she demonstrating at the quilt show?

you press your seams open on strip sets! It works like a dream....you just lie your strip set on this bar and the HMP makes the seam you are pressing just fall in place..easy to press, so straight and nice and clean...LOVE IT

sewmary 01-26-2012 08:11 AM

Hmm could be cool - will have to try this. Thanks.

(For those - like me - who do not have a hubby to do the cutting - the Home Depot or wherever you go will cut the lengths you need or if you are like me - just do it myself at the store!)

Caroline S 01-26-2012 08:16 AM

Got everything to make one or two, except for the Insulbrite. I guess it is off to Joannes tomorrow to use my latest coupons. Hmmm, is there anything else I need?

jaciqltznok 01-26-2012 08:17 AM

so true Sewmary....I used to work at Lowe's and forgot to mention that!
Also if you want the 45" bar like the lady sells, you just have to get a piece that is 8' and have them cut 2 pcs at 45" and what is left you can use on something else!