Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My new scrap sorting system (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-new-scrap-sorting-system-t27720.html)

LucyInTheSky 10-26-2009 07:11 PM

I was inspired by the scrap quilts I see on the board, and by the Multitasking post (and by the fact that my scraps no longer fit in the storage bin that they live in :shock: ), so I'm going through now and sorting/cutting everything into categories:

5" square
3.5" square
2.5" strips
1.5" squares
Donate

And in theory, when I cut fabric for a new quilt, I'm going to immediate cut it into usable scrap pieces and keep the bin mostly empty.

I've spent the last hour ironing (and made a very slight dent in the scraps), and I wanted to take a break and share with y'all! :mrgreen:

sharon b 10-26-2009 07:18 PM

Sounds like a great plan :mrgreen: When you are done , will you come organize my scraps ????

bebe 10-26-2009 07:27 PM

good idea :wink:
I just checked on my scraps and they are out of control :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eddie 10-26-2009 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by bebe
good idea :wink:
I just checked on my scraps and they are out of control :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL, mine, too! :D I'm still trying to figure out a method that works for me. I've got all my 1930s Repro fabrics together in a large flat plastic storage bin, which seems to work good for those. But all the others, geez, it's a mess!

charismah 10-26-2009 08:02 PM

OK I have been working on my scraps as well and thought I would share....

I am cutting mine into:
5 inch squares
2.5 inch squares

2.5 inch strips..only if I need to even them out because I already have so many and then all the rest are being cut into random size strips if they are already not a strip.

all of the random strips are being sorted according to length and then being sewn into panels....these panels will be used in my scrap quilts borders ( like piano keys only random sized) I also drew up some sketches of what I will do with the some of the others also did a random courthouse step block quilt last week ...I also drew up some sketches of how I am going to use a couple of the panels so they will all be used.

I figured for the 5 inch squares I would use charmpack patterns or nickel quilt patterns to use up those ....then with the 2.5 inch strips I can use those for bindings on my scrap quilts....also thought that if I had to much I could also use jelly roll patterns and I also drew up some sketches to use those.

The 2.5 inch squares I am not sure yet--will probably try to just make a charm quilt with as many as I have and be done with all of my scraps so that all future projects I can use my scraps either as I go--or cut them into the above categories as I go so I don't have a huge tub of scraps....so this has been very time consuming...I have to say I felt I was never going to get through them..but now I am in the home stretch and have about 20 panels of strips...so I can start to press and sew them! wooohoo finally the fun part!

LucyInTheSky 10-26-2009 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Sounds like a great plan :mrgreen: When you are done , will you come organize my scraps ????

Yeah sure. See you in 2 months!

amma 10-26-2009 09:58 PM

Now that's organization!!! :D :D :D

LucyInTheSky 10-26-2009 10:02 PM

I'm trying to go through my stash and actually use it (I know, it sounds crazy) and so scraps seemed like a logical place to look through. Probably the biggest motivator was someone's suggestion on here to attach scraps to other scraps instead of using a frog when you finish a row. Then ta-da, you have a quilt finished without really working on it :mrgreen:

farscapegal 10-27-2009 01:58 AM

I don't precut my scraps because I don't know what I will want them for. If I cut them into 2.5 pieces I may need them as 3 in pieces. I just put them in bins by color and cut them when I need them into the size I will be using.

Sybil

patricej 10-27-2009 02:40 AM

i don't organize at all. once my drawer is full, i give them away.

every time i look at my stash of yardage and fat quarters, i already feel enough [self-imposed] guilt and pressure to use it [instead of buying more ... which i do anyway ... :roll: :lol: ].

i don't need scraps forming a cloud over my head, too! :lol: :lol: :lol: