Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Nieces are Sewing!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-nieces-sewing-t147991.html)

girliegirl 08-26-2011 05:54 AM

Well my Nieces are digging the whole Aunt Shirley thing!! They have been sewing by hand and making clothes for there dolls! Only thing is that they have no material and are cutting up clothes that they don't want.... oh nooooo... My brother is losing it too! Emily has a sewing machine and it is a little girl one... soooooooooo I am going to have to get them "real" ones! We are making a day with my Mom and sewing !! Next weekend my Brother has them and they are coming to visit and have dinner at my Parents!!! This could be our first sewing sleep over party!!! Any suggestions on projects??? Should we jump right into rag quilts? or simple??

QuiltE 08-26-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by girliegirl
Well my Nieces are digging the whole Aunt Shirley thing!! They have been sewing by hand and making clothes for there dolls! Only thing is that they have no material and are cutting up clothes that they don't want.... oh nooooo... My brother is losing it too! Emily has a sewing machine and it is a little girl one... soooooooooo I am going to have to get them "real" ones! We are making a day with my Mom and sewing !! Next weekend my Brother has them and they are coming to visit and have dinner at my Parents!!! This could be our first sewing sleep over party!!! Any suggestions on projects??? Should we jump right into rag quilts? or simple??

Keep it simple ... and let them make something that they can with the skills they have. Not too long of a project for boredom to sink in!!

How old are the girls? .. that'll help determine what's the best options.

Sewing machines ... can be picked up at thrift stores, garage sales, etc for very little. Or by asking around to friends, work colleagues etc. If you can get one for each, then there's no "fight" to get the machine, or disappointment they can't sew because the other is doing so.

Looks like a fun GirlieGirl time for all three generations!!!!!! And oh, the memories you'll have.

P.S. ... so you DO have "girls" in your life! :)

erstan947 08-26-2011 06:00 AM

Pillowcases are a great first project. It is finished fast and fun colors are great. Have fun!!

girliegirl 08-26-2011 06:06 AM

I do! I have some girlie girls in my life, but they come and go... they are 9 & 11... Emily is the older and she is a "Queen" very creative... Alison is a princess in training, as she wanted to be called Bob and dressed as a boy.... But she is now a girlie girl in training.... They love when I come to visit... I always bring crafty messy stuff to do and cupcakes!! with pink icing of course!

grammy Dwynn 08-26-2011 06:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree on pillowcases. Three years ago I did it with three of my DGK's, the younger two had never used a sewing machine. They 'shopped' in my stash and choose there own fabrics. DGS, picked some, that really didn't go together, but it was his decision (and I tried to 'sway' him with a better match). All three were completed in a day. They still talk about making their own pillowcases.

ages 5, 7 & 8
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246913[/ATTACH]

Teacup 08-26-2011 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Pillowcases are a great first project. It is finished fast and fun colors are great. Have fun!!

Agree with this -- use the pillowcase tute on Missouri Star Quilt Co. website. Take them to a fabric store to pick great fun fabric they love. They'll have pride in the finished project they can take home to use. Maybe get a bit of extra fabric in that theme and incorporate it into four patch or 9 patch blocks they can turn into small lapquilts to use on their beds during your next project.

QuiltE 08-26-2011 06:15 AM

Are kids still into PJ bottoms with T Shirts for sleeping? the PJ bottoms can be easy to do, and the girls have fun picking out the flannelettes in something they like.

Another easy beginner project..... polar fleece because it's very forgiving. Though a b! to frog stitch ..... which is why the forgiving part is so nice for beginners!!! ..... track pants, PJ bottoms, toques, scarves ..... or even those polar fleece blankets with fringed edges.

susie-susie-susie 08-26-2011 06:21 AM

My DGD made a pillowcase for her first project. Actually she made 2 that day. Had to be laundered right away so she could use them that night. They are so proud when they make it themselves. I have 3 daughters and none of them sew, and 3 DGD and only 1 likes to sew. I guess the "sewing gene" skipped both generations.
Sue

sewmary 08-26-2011 06:39 AM

Definitely pillowcases. They have instant gratification and start to learn to sew a straight line!

sewmary 08-26-2011 06:41 AM

Oh and I have them make two - one for themselves and one for charity. Hope to teach 'em young!