Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My quilt squares are puckering. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-quilt-squares-puckering-t14766.html)

Carol W 12-27-2008 07:35 AM

I'm using my new to me featherweight that my dh bought for me for Christmas.

My squares are puckering. Not allot, but enough that I have to slightly tug at them to straighten them out. And still they don't lie flat.

I've adjusted both the bobbin tension (I've had problems with the tension and all of you were so wonderful with your suggestions.) and the needle tension.

I've read the manual, checked online and still my tension is close, but not quite right.

Help!!

patricej 12-27-2008 08:28 AM

are the two fabrics about the same weight and texture?
have you already tried the following? if you haven't, try each thing in turn. not all at once. it's possible your needle is the wrong size for the thread you're using ... or vice versa.

switch to a different size needle
switch to different weights of thread(s) in the top and/or bobbin?
flip the strips so the fab that was on top is now on the bottom?

Carol W 12-27-2008 08:46 AM

I'll try those.

The fabric weight is the same. I'm using the same thread for the needle as well as the bobbin. I don't know what size the needle is.

How do I know that the needle is the right size for the thread?

sewsewquilter 12-27-2008 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Carol W
I'm using my new to me featherweight that my dh bought for me for Christmas.

Fun for you... a featherweight. I'm sure you will fix your problem.

You might find a featherweight's users group online that could help you.

patricej 12-27-2008 09:32 AM

not all needles or threads are exactly the same. i am definitely not an expert on this subject. but my machine's manual recommends a size 14 needle when working with 40 weight thread. that size also seems to work best with my 50 weights. a size 11 needle should work well with 60 weight thread ... and most 50 weights.

with needles ... the higher the number, the bigger the needle - and the hole.
with threads, it's the opposite. the higher the weight number, the thinner the thread. (which makes no sense to me, but there it is. i mean ... c'mon ... when my weight goes up i certainly don't get thinner. go figure. :lol: )

Rose Marie 12-27-2008 10:11 AM

I had problems with puckering because my seams were not straight and my machine was pulling towards the left when I was finishing a seam.
Found out that my foot was not wide enough to cover the feed dogs so my fabric was getting pulled. Had to buy an edging foot that looks like a 1/4 in foot but is wider.

Dodie 12-27-2008 11:56 AM

are you using the singer brand needles they are slightly longer than the schmetz needles I'm not sure but could make a difference

Carol W 12-27-2008 03:05 PM

No I'm not using the Singer Needles.

I'll pick those up and see if that helps.

Thank you!!!

Elizabeth A. 12-27-2008 03:37 PM

I saw a tip on a quilting show about how to tell if your needle is properly sized for your thread. Remove the needle from the machine, and string it onto your thread just like it was a hand quilting needle. Now take both ends of the thread holding it about a foot or two apart. Now take one hand and move it so instead of being straight accross, make one hand be on top and the other on the bottom. Keep the thread taunt (no slack)

Does the needle side smoothly down the thread? If so the thread and needle are fine together. If the needle needs help to slide down or jerks over the thread, you need a bigger needle (higher numbers are bigger than smaller numbers.)

I have no idea if that will help you, but at least it's a quick and easy way to know if you're sizes are correct.

sewsewquilter 12-27-2008 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.
I saw a tip on a quilting show about how to tell if your needle is properly sized for your thread. Remove the needle from the machine, and string it onto your thread just like it was a hand quilting needle. Now take both ends of the thread holding it about a foot or two apart. Now take one hand and move it so instead of being straight accross, make one hand be on top and the other on the bottom. Keep the thread taunt (no slack)

Does the needle side smoothly down the thread? If so the thread and needle are fine together. If the needle needs help to slide down or jerks over the thread, you need a bigger needle (higher numbers are bigger than smaller numbers.)

I have no idea if that will help you, but at least it's a quick and easy way to know if you're sizes are correct.

Good tip!