Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My report on the Gingher Company (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-report-gingher-company-t79377.html)

gale 11-28-2010 10:09 PM

What a great story. I'll be sure to send mine to them when they need sharpened.

Kas 11-28-2010 10:41 PM

I need to send in my liontail embroidery scissors. My little Ben dropped them point down on the tile in Starbucks. Now they go "snick" when you close them all the way.

Cuilteanna 11-28-2010 11:14 PM

I have a "sharpening stone" from Gingher that I use on my scissors now and then, but I don't use them enough to really dull them I guess. I keep cheap Fiskars around for paper, plastic or anything else non-fabric.

I love that they've created replacement blades for their seam ripper that are so much nicer than the originals too!

mrspete 11-28-2010 11:22 PM

They had a gigantic sale back in Sept right here in my hometown. I didn't have much money but I did buy a couple things and they were dirt cheap. Hope they have another sale. One of the employees said they either bought Fiskar or Fiskar bought them. I thought that might have been the reason for such a great sale. I really don't know but I'm waiting for another. Can any one tell me how to tell a right handed from a left handed pair of scissors? TY

plainjane 11-28-2010 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
I have a "sharpening stone" from Gingher that I use on my scissors now and then, but I don't use them enough to really dull them I guess. I keep cheap Fiskars around for paper, plastic or anything else non-fabric.

I love that they've created replacement blades for their seam ripper that are so much nicer than the originals too!

I have a sharpening stone also, but I'm not confident enough to use it :( I also have a yuck pair for trimming patterns as I sew for myself and now the little GD; I really use mine A LOT! I think I need their seam ripper!

plainjane 11-28-2010 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
They had a gigantic sale back in Sept right here in my hometown. I didn't have much money but I did buy a couple things and they were dirt cheap. Hope they have another sale. One of the employees said they either bought Fiskar or Fiskar bought them. I thought that might have been the reason for such a great sale. I really don't know but I'm waiting for another. Can any one tell me how to tell a right handed from a left handed pair of scissors? TY

I'm afraid I do not know. Maybe, if you tried to use a pair that are not fitted to you, the slant of the handles would make it very uncomfortable-big time guessing :)

Rainy Day 11-29-2010 01:16 AM

Left handed scissors have a long flat blade on the bottom, and a slope on the top thumb hole that slopes towards your hand.

BRenea 11-29-2010 04:54 AM

Always nice to hear about a company that cares about their customers...and I love my Ginghers! Will share this info with my neighbor, she recently mentioned she had quite a collection of Ginghers and they all needed sharpening!

Melinda in Tulsa 11-29-2010 07:53 AM

I have a pair of Gingher 8" dressmaker shears and pinking shears that I bought at least 35 years ago. Never been sharpened. Guess I probably need to send them in!

amandasgramma 11-29-2010 08:05 AM

That's REALLY good to know!!!! Thanks