Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   my row of fabrics for Trip Around The World (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-row-fabrics-trip-around-world-t201700.html)

wildyard 09-27-2012 06:02 PM

my row of fabrics for Trip Around The World

1 Attachment(s)
I so enjoyed reading all the comments made on another post about how to select/position the fabrics for TATW or other patterns where the fabrics "lead" into one another. I have put together this stack and will be making a comfort quilt with it. I would love to have everyone's input as to placement, selection, etc. with these fabrics. I will post some comments after the photo as it is not exactly true so I'll try to explain what isn't obvious.[ATTACH=CONFIG]365965[/ATTACH]
-The 3rd fabric from the right has a lot of green leaf and stem on the white that matches the green floral.
-The 5th from the right has a lot of the light yellow blended in with the light pink on the background as well as darker yellow in the center of the flowers. The green leaves and stems match the green and white fabric.
-The yellow tone on tone actually does pick up the yellows in the fabrics on either side of it. The large floral on blue to it's left only has the darker yellow in the flower centers.
-Not sure if 3 blues are too many.

Patti25314 09-27-2012 06:09 PM

The fabrics are lovely. Do you need to use 10? Are you using a pattern that is large enough to keep the large printed fabrics or will part of that design be lost? Are you hoping to have the fabrics blend into each other or be positioned as to be very distinct from each one?

auntpiggylpn 09-27-2012 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I changed your picture to black and white so you can see the contrast between your colors. This might help you figure out the order to put your prints in.

JustAbitCrazy 09-28-2012 12:35 AM

I once bought a 1930's TATW quilt top which I thought was lovely for that very reason---I love the way the maker tied two colors together in each "ring". She paired a 30's print with a coordinating solid, then a different print with it's coordinating solid, etc., etc. It's lovely!

HillCountryGal 09-28-2012 03:22 AM

Never would have thought to consider fabric selection by turning a photo to black & white. Makes a person rethink the combination! Doing that, I would remove the large print (4th from left) fabric.

Do like one color/fabric leading into another.

Guess all this would hinge on which pattern you use. Either way, it's going to be a neat quilt!!!

auntpiggylpn 09-28-2012 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 5546352)
Never would have thought to consider fabric selection by turning a photo to black & white. Makes a person rethink the combination! !!!

I learned that trick from someone here on QB. I use it often!!! It really helps when i am trying to line fabrics up from lightest to darkest or trying to keep all light fabrics from being grouped together.

wildyard 09-28-2012 11:12 AM

I love how they look in black and white! Rather than remove the large print, I think I need to add a medium print between it and the small print to it's left.
Because I bought half yards of each fabric, I think I will go with 3" strips and just see how far it takes me.

LadyElisabeth 09-28-2012 11:39 AM

Thanks for the b & w pic. I never thought of doing that, either. I really liked the fabric placement in color. It should make a wonderful quilt, really bright and cheerful.