Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   my sympathies for Canadian quilters. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-sympathies-canadian-quilters-t48152.html)

Pzazz 06-02-2010 07:01 PM

I have lived in the US for the past 8 yrs. I am currently in BC on holiday, so of course I had to hit a few fabric shops. The first one I found was a Fabricland. Well...pick me up off the floor....their Average price for quilting cottons was $20/meter!! And it was not especially good quality....about the same as Joanns in the US that would go for about $7-8/yd.
Next town, another Fabricland. I was leary, but went in anyway. Much better prices, but still fairly high for the quality...$10-15/meter. 3rd stop was an LQS. Much better quality, and expected prices...about $12-16/meter.

I did pick up a few pieces in the second Fabricland for a childs' utility quilt. All pieces I purchased were on @ 30% off, so that was good.

Patti

sharon b 06-02-2010 07:09 PM

Do they have different colors/patterns of fabric then we have here ?

Ripped on Scotch 06-02-2010 07:15 PM

I'm Canadian & can tell you it's the same fabrics. We have moda and all the other brands. The prices are higher and the shops know that. So eBay and online stores become well known. I live on a border city so I can run over to joann's really easily but that isn't always the case. But you also have to think about it because our store sell in meters not yards so when to prices are close it's not so bad.

roseOfsharon 06-02-2010 07:17 PM

Are the salaries higher in Canada to help with the pricing?

Ripped on Scotch 06-02-2010 07:18 PM

Minimum in Ontario is $10.50 now...

MrsColumbo 06-02-2010 07:20 PM

I live in BC and yes, our prices are a lot higher than what you pay in the US .. I moved here from the East Coast (of Canada, in Newfoundland where I spent 18 yrs) 5 1/2 years ago and it's even higher there due to the high cost of getting it up so far and across the water ...

Salaries in Canada are higher than in the US by far, particularly here in BC ... the cost of living in BC is extremely high, especially in Vancouver where I live ... people here just don't bat an eye about the fabric prices .. to order from the US isn't feasible when you tack on exchange, taxes and possible duty (depending on method of shipping) so we just pay it ... I just paid $20.00 for a meter of cotton today at Fabricland .. I just got my regular membership 20% off ...

If you get a chance to visit Fabricana you will really be blown away .. I dont know where you are holidaying but there is one in Richmond and one in Coquitlam ... I've only been to the Coquitlam one .. they have Amy Butler, Kaffee Fassett, Asian prints, etc ... great store but also expensive and nothing off unless they happen to be running a sale .. they do have sale fabrics on the side wall though ... probably our sale equals your regular price fabrics though.

Toby

dkabasketlady 06-02-2010 07:26 PM

Wow! I also experienced the same high cost of fabrics when I've been on cruises for the last several years. I'm thankful for the Internet and sales. It's not cheap to be a quilter!

MrsColumbo 06-02-2010 07:52 PM

The one place in Vancouver where fabric IS inexpensive is in Little India or any of the East Indian cloth houses .. however, they aren't geared to quilters but for chiffons, organzas and georgettes, that is the place to go .. they do have cotton prints but not like Moda or anything .. but to go into these places is a cultural experience ...

Toby

b.zang 06-02-2010 08:00 PM

Fabric prices in Canada are relative to wages, although they sound high when compared to bargain shopping in the USA. Quality fabric from an LQS is $18 - $22 per metre for cotton. If you're buying all new fabric of good quality, a quilt is an expensive investment even before putting time into it.

Ethnic fabric shopping is a good idea, and in a city like Vancouver there are certainly plenty of opportunities.

MrsColumbo 06-02-2010 08:03 PM

That is probably why I don't quilt .. I make bags ... I hardly have any cotton at all ... we are expecting our third grandson (first baby for oldest girl) in August and I am hoping to do a small quilt of squares or panels .. that will be my extent ..

I have done one quilt top .. flannel .. was awful .. I have done quite a bit of crazy quilting with bead/button/ribbonwork .. I used to buy my fancy fabrics at the cloth houses ... I live in a largely East Indian area.

I dont go across the border so I just pay the prices here :(

Toby