Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My triplets are "Turning Twenty"!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-triplets-%22turning-twenty%22-t32025.html)

doowopddbop 12-21-2009 04:22 AM

Have you made a Turning Twenty quilt? My triplet daughters, who have been quilting with me since they were 13 years old, are turning twenty next month! I am so excited! They are each going to sew their own quilts, and I am supplying the 60 fat quarters, (woo hoo! time to go shopping!!!)

What I am looking for through this post are ideas for quilting these things! This quilt has a lot of open spaces. How have you quilted yours? Something different in each block? an overall pattern? Will you share your ideas and pictures?

Thanks for any input! Ü Ü Ü

kmohan 12-21-2009 05:34 AM

I'm not overly proud of my own "turning twenty" quilt (the second quilt I ever made) . I picked fabric I ended up hating because it didnt go together well and was too plain. I started handstitching in the the ditch but I eventually gave up doing it by hand and machined the rest, again in the ditch.

But you know what? That quilt is on my bed every night when the winters get cold (last night included). And I love it for that.

If I were to do it again, I'd still likely qult in the ditch for most of it, but put something a little more complicated in the big squares. Maybe a looping daisy or a heart motif. Enjoy working with your girls.

Kristy

Bevanger 12-21-2009 05:38 AM

triplets? wow! congrats. thats so neat they sew with you

Oklahoma Suzie 12-21-2009 05:51 AM

Wow, triplets who sew. That's great. I have never made a turning twenty, but I plan on it. Can't wait to see pics.

Justquilting 12-21-2009 06:02 AM

Congrats on raising 3 more quilters!

Iluv2quilt 12-21-2009 06:16 AM

How wonderful to have been blessed with triplets! What a special thing to do together, quilting their very own turning twenty quilts!

thismomquilts 12-21-2009 06:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
turning twenty is my favorite pattern - I've made many quilts with it - if I can find any pictures (I'm famous for NOT taking enough pictures) I will do so later. I let my stepdaughters choose their own fabrics... I could NEVER have done what they did - it was wonderful!!! I just let the loose in our LQS and they went wild!! Here is one of them - I did just find the pics for it -

katier825 12-21-2009 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by thismomquilts
turning twenty is my favorite pattern - I've made many quilts with it - if I can find any pictures (I'm famous for NOT taking enough pictures) I will do so later. I let my stepdaughters choose their own fabrics... I could NEVER have done what they did - it was wonderful!!! I just let the loose in our LQS and they went wild!! Here is one of them - I did just find the pics for it -

WOW! That is awesome! I love the mix of colors.

grammatjr 12-21-2009 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
What I am looking for through this post are ideas for quilting these things! This quilt has a lot of open spaces. How have you quilted yours? Something different in each block?Thanks for any input! Ü Ü Ü

Have you checked out the Leah Day site?

http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

She has video and instructions to make 110 (to date) different free motion fillers. That could be really fun for this type of quilt. She has them listed by skill level too, which I think was a fantastic idea!

Maybe this would give your girls some ideas! Good luck, and don't forget to post pics!

amma 12-21-2009 12:08 PM

First of all WOW!!! Triplets :D:D:D AND they sew with you too!!! :D:D:D

I think it may depend on the fabrics... If the bigger areas are lighter colored fabrics it would be fun to quilt something in these areas that are meaningful to them. If it is similar to the quilt pictured above, an all over design would be very pretty too, something of interest or meaning to them.

I can't wait to see their quilts :D:D:D